Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!


Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more


Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Making Of 'Warrior'

| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
(Score 5 out of 5 after 3 Votes)
| Comments 1
Date Added: 16th June 2009
Software used:

Rendering and Post-Production

Arriving at this point, problems started.

The character's grid wasn't the problem, as the number of polygons wasn't difficult for Vray to handle, but it was difficult to manage those displacements.

The solution I found was rendering piece after piece after converting to proxy each of the elements composing the armor, at the same time rendering regions, besides this I had to look for the lights and shadows so they were correct. It took me very long taking into account that the render was originally planned for 3636x2654.

Finally I had to assemble the puzzle in Photoshop.

After assembling the puzzle, I started drawing the dragon, that should look like an entity. I also added as background a symbol I had previously made in Max. Having completed all the scene's elements, I worked with the Wacom using the airbrush and eraser to achieve the effect I wanted on the dragon, to which I added cold tonalities to stress the entity appearance. At the beginning I thought that a fire effect would be more interesting, but after listening some suggestions I chose a cold tone, later adding blue lights so the whitish tone of the dragon wouldn't be opaqued by the black background.

Regarding the hair, as it was Max hair y had to render separately, but before that I turned it to grid and rendered also that way, then I made some retouches on the render, getting the result you can see.

Now having the final scene made, I tweaked the scene's levels, I worked on the contrast,thus getting the definitive image.

Now I know that many things can be improved, I have learned a lot along the process, and that is the more satisfying aspect of it, to see the traversed path.


Thanks to all my friends for their support in this proyect, all those persons that were always there when I needed it giving the tips and advise that made this image possible. Here is the final image .


< previous page

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Related Tutorials

Making Of 'Tundra'

by Daniel Moreno Dнaz
published on 2009-12-09

Keywords: scene, tundra, character, female, warrior,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none (14)
Comments 4 Views 117100

Modo - ZBrush displacement workflow with Displacement Exporter

by Zoltan Korcsok
published on 2009-06-16

Keywords: character, head, creature, displacement, modo, zbrush,

rating star fullrating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none (1)
Comments 1 Views 119896

From Paper to After Effects - Creating an Animated Short from Scratch: Lesson 03

by e.d. Films
published on 2013-04-11

Keywords: character, cartoon, rocket randee,

rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none (0)
Comments 0 Views 17375

Modeling a magic character

by Guzz Soares
published on 2014-12-19

Keywords: ZBrush, character, 3ds Max, Photoshop, Hermione

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (31)
Comments 0 Views 38772
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
Konbon on Sun, 12 May 2013 6:26am
Great work! Thanks for sharing your journey!
Add Your Comment..