With the keypads, aside from doing the above, I also made an extra slice. If you look at the phone you can see that every button has a little slice through the middle - for grip. So I made that extra slice to make the button slope up and down a little, as in the image.
For the texturing I used arch mats; one black one, again with a fresnel and blurred reflection, which I used for the matt parts of the phone. For the front, I made another black one with fresnel falloff, but if you look closely at the real phone you can see that it's a slightly brushed metal material (you can't really notice this on pictures, but the real phone has it). So in the falloff picture I used a noise material, setting the size to very small, and tiling was set in the Z-direction to as small as possible. This stretched the noise map and gave a brushed effect to the material. For the last part, I used an anisotropic effect to finish it off (Fig27 - 28).
The silver part was just an arch mat with a high reflection, and very blurred. For the keypads I took an image of the phone into Photoshop, and cut out the keys from the photo. Then, using contrast and brightness to edit the image, I made it extreme black and white. I used the same alpha map trick that I also used for the Logitech face plate (Fig29). I then used that to make sure that the key material had the actual characters transparent, and that the rest was filled. This way, when I put a plane behind it with a glowing material, the keys would light up, but the buttons would stay normal, as would happen with the real cell phone (Fig30).
The scene itself was dead simple. I just made a plane for the ground, and quickly painted a very simple background in Photoshop, and set it as the scenes environment background. I then positioned the character and phone as I wanted it, and positioned the camera as well. I gave the floor a slightly reflective material, and for the lighting I made 2 Mental Ray materials, set a lume glow material to the mental ray base, and gave one a blue colour, and one a yellowish, beige colour. I made sure that the intensity was set pretty high, and applied each to one of two boxes. I then set off the camera to the sides of the character. This was for the front and back light. I lastly positioned a skylight, and a directional light. The earphones and wires were made with the same techniques that I used for the rest of the models. You can see this in the images. That's basically it from start to finish, and there was not a lot of fancy tricks used, just clean, old simple modelling.