I duplicated the layer of the moon and applied a Gaussian blur, before making it bigger, to give the resemblance of a halo around the moon.Â With the pipette tool, I took the colour of the moonlight and added strokes of paint on the clouds' edges.Â Finally, I enlarged the two layers of the moon to enhance the appearance of the cathedral (Fig.06).
To extract the background architecture, I worked with the alpha channels (Fig.07).Â Sometimes I use the brush tool, click on the 'Q' key and then paint the surface that I want.Â Then I click on Q again to select the surface to have it switched.Â In another window, with all images carefully selected, I came up with the composition.Â To enlarge and decrease the sizes, I used the Transformation tool (Ctrl + T), changing them to grey to achieve more value (Fig.08).
Afterwards, I integrated them into the original scene, adding then a little red colour with the Color Balance option to make it more harmonious with the atmosphere of the scene (Fig.09).Â I duplicated the same layer and darkened it with the Hue/Saturation tool, while applying the Overlay mode.Â On the same layer, I erased the luminous parts with the Airbrush Pen Opacity Flow.Â I added a yellow light on the windows and finally made a light fog on the cathedral, to add more focal depth.
I used the image of a city, with an Opacity of 47%, and on the mask layer I erased the borders with an eraser.Â After that, I applied a black Transparency gradient from the left to the right, in Overlay mode and at 64% Opacity. Finally, I added an orange colour to portray fires and smoke, to show that there are people living in the city (Fig.10).
To separate the cathedral from the background I applied a Transparency gradient from bottom to top, with a light grey colour (Fig.11).
First Plan (Layout)
After I selected the images, I extracted the rock in the background with Alpha Channels (Fig.12) and then assembled the rocks.Â With each one, I used the Curves tool to make them correctly contrasted.