Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!


Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more


Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

submit tutorial
1 | 2
Making Of 'Flamethrower S.U.'

| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
(Score 5 out of 5 after 4 Votes)
| Comments 0
Date Added: 8th December 2009
Software used:

For this next step I made a bit more use of 3ds Max. It is a lot easier to do hard surface modelling in Max than ZBrush, and I recommend using Polyboost if you're box modelling in Max! I imported a lower-res version of the model from ZBrush to use it as reference. I had to go with a different gas mask design than the one that I initially planned because the full head model was harder to bend and place onto the chest. The straps were very easy to make; I used the shell modifier to give them thickness at the ends (Fig.07).

Fig. 07

When detailing in ZBrush I was trying to give a suggestion of the objects inside the bag, and so I made sure I took these into account when I was creating the folds (Fig.08).

Fig. 08

I wanted to give a weapon to the character as well, to make it more interesting and give him a bit of a back-story (Fig.09). So he became a medic with a gloomy past, going on the rampage with a flamethrower! Gas masks also go hand in hand with flame throwers! I added some damage to the tubes and made some quick details on the hose (Fig.10).

Fig. 09

Fig. 10

I assembled everything together in ZBrush. I created layers for the objects that I knew I would modify, in the case I needed to go back to the standard pose. I then used Transpose Master to pose the model. Some modelling was necessary to correct the parts that didn't deform properly, and I also had to redo the folds that were not flowing in the right direction, according to the new pose (Fig.11 - 12).

Fig. 11

Fig. 12

The rendering was done in V-Ray. I decided to take the entire model into Max, but this was a problem for me because I only had 2G of ram. A workaround was to split the model into different files, ticked "display as a box" option before saving, and imported them as xrefs into the main scene.

The lighting setup was very simple and consisted of just two area lights (Fig.13).

Fig. 13

With the final image I went for a simple and clean look. I wanted the details to be easy to read so that the work that had been done in ZBrush would not be wasted (Fig.14)!

Fig. 14 - Final Image

Thanks everyone for reading. Cheers!

< previous page

1 | 2
Related Tutorials

Creature Painting in ZBrush

by Josh Robinson
published on 2011-08-04

Keywords: character, creature, head, painting, zbrush, video,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none (11)
Comments 0 Views 7601

Blending 3D and Photography - Chapter 1

by Andrzej Sykut
published on 2013-07-26

Keywords: object, human, hand, cyborg,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star halfrating star none (12)
Comments 2 Views 215197

Maya Modeling: Body Blocking

by Jahirul Amin
published on 2013-08-08

Keywords: character, body, modeling, maya,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (39)
Comments 2 Views 161605

Making of 'My Pets'

by Fran Ferriz
published on 2009-09-01

Keywords: character, creature, cartoon, pet,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (4)
Comments 1 Views 42240
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
no comments!
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Add Your Comment..