Finishing the asphalt texture
Then I placed all these textures in screen mode in Photoshop, which allowed me to finish a nice-looking diffuse map of asphalt.
To create Bump and Displacement maps, I just desaturated the diffuse map and used the brightness and contrast, curves and exposure control to create texture that I needed. There are puddles on the asphalt, for which I also created a Reflection map using different brushes in Photoshop.
Using ZBrush and Photoshop to create detailed textures for the asphalt
Creating the rails
The rails were made in a same manner. I made one rail sleeper and metal brackets with bolts and then duplicated all these elements into a long strip.
To create the rail, I drew a spline which was extruded out with large number of segments. After that, I attached rails to the rail sleeper and metal brackets with bolts and set the pivot point at the beginning of the rails, and then added bend modifier in order to create the rounded shape of the rails.
Modeling the rails in the scene
Texturing the rails
The material of the rails was simple enough to create. For the rail sleepers I used several different textures of concrete; for the metal brackets with bolts I used a rusty metal material; and for the rail I used a blend material consisting of rusty metal and steel with a Gradient Mask.
For the ground, I used two long planes lying on the same Z direction, which also had been rounded with the bend modifier. The first plane was used for the dirt, and the second for the puddles. For dirt, I used a large mud texture and Displacement map for it. For the second plane, I used a simple water material to make it look like a puddle.
Applying basic materials to the rails
Texturing the rails II
To make the ground looked more realistic, I made several types of stones with different forms and sizes, which were scattered along the plane with the Multiscatter plug-in
. In the Multiscatter settings I setup a random rotation and variation of size, so the stones looked more diverse.
I also made a few types of rough ground using planes that were deformed by the Displacement modifier with different types of noise and cellular maps. Some types of rough ground were changed by Edit Poly to give them a uniform look, and were then scattered on top of the main ground. I also scattered different stones on the rough ground hills to make them more varied.
Creating realistically weathered train tracks
Creating vegetation was also a very important phase in this work. To create the ivy I used a well-known Ivy generator plug-in
. I chose a few building and structures and experimented with a few types of ivy with different settings, and then chose the most successful versions.
Experimenting with different types of ivy
All trees were created with Onyx Trees. I made three types of poplar and one type of European tree using slightly modified Onyx library trees. To make the trees looked more varied, like fallen leaves in autumn, I decided to remove from 30 to 50 percent of the leaves from different trees.
Different types of trees created with Onyx Trees
Coloring the leaves
Also, to show the atmosphere of autumn, I decided to make the leaves different colors. To do this, I created multi-sub material and placed 4 types of leaf materials in it and used a Color Correction map for the texture of each leaf to make a variety of green, yellow and red colors.
Adding a little autumnal color to the scene
Finishing off the trees
I then set the foreground trees by hand placing them, and trees that stand in the background I scattered with the Multiscatter on the spline surface with the Subdivide modifier. I also wanted to place bushes that hide the rails in the background of the picture, and grass in the foreground between the platforms.
First, I assembled a small collection of plants in one pack, which included a variety of shrubs, bushes, grass and other plants. Some plants have been taken from old projects and some were made for this project, or were changed from existing plants from my library.
To create the grass near the rails in the foreground of the image, I used the Forest Pack plug-in
. I drew a spline in the gaps between the platforms and rails and used the model of grass and plants from the Forest Pack on it. To make the look grass and plants more varied, I played with the Rotation and Scale parameters. Similarly for the trees, I created a couple of different materials for the grass, plants and bushes.
Using the Forest Pack plug-in and plant models from old projects to create foliage
Creating the trains and wagons
The scene consists of two main head trains, one passenger wagon and a few middle poly-freight wagons. To create the train, I used several drawings and photos of the sides and front, as well as tons perspective viewpoint photographs, both for references and texturing.
I used a hard-surface modeling technique to create the entire train, but in the end I had to optimize some parts to avoid an increase of memory in the scene. To optimize the main cabin of the train, I decided to retopologize it using 3ds Max Graphite Modeling Tools, and then Unwrapped it to bake the details from a high poly model onto a low poly version.
For all other parts, I did a simple optimization by removing any unnecessary edges or polygons and using different photo textures, as well as simple UVV maps like box, cylinder, planar maps and so on.
The model created using hard-surface modeling
Texturing the trains and wagons
I created few metal materials such as rust and old paint that I used for texturing all the different trains.
One of the textures used to texture the trains