Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3
Making Of 'Karmelion'

| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none
(Score 3.75 out of 5 after 20 Votes)
| 101467 Views
| 0 Comments
| Comments 0
Date Added: 27th October 2010
Software used:
Keywords:

After roughly defining the side profile, I proceeded to draw out the front shape of the car. At the same time, I was already beginning to flesh out the car by creating a 3D mesh from the side profiles I had drawn. The process of modeling began with a plane and I added a turbosmooth modifier on top of that. The advantage this gave me was that I could easily redefine my curves in case I felt that some parts didn't match up or that some shapes looked out of proportion.

The windscreens were extracted from the base mesh that was created (Fig.06 - 08).

168_tid_image_06_model.jpg
Fig. 06

168_tid_image_07_parts_layerd.jpg
Fig. 07

168_tid_image_08_model.jpg
Fig. 08

The modeling was done using a mix of editable polygons and splines. For the wires and underside geometry, I chose to use renderable splines, varying the thicknesses or converting them to editable polygons for further modifications.

I used 3ds Max for the entire modeling process as it is very comfortable for me to work with and I have been using it for almost six years now.

The rods and frames in the backdrop were modeled using mostly spines that were set to be renderable (Fig.09).

168_tid_image_09_mesh.jpg
Fig. 09


Texturing

The textures for this were mainly procedural V-Ray materials since I used V-Ray for the rendering. I received some requests asking me to post my windscreen material. It is displayed in Fig.10.

168_tid_image_10_settings.jpg
Fig. 10

The wall at the side was a UVW unwrap with a texture created in Photoshop (Fig.11).

168_tid_image_11_lighting.jpg
Fig. 11

For the wheels and 'rims', if you may, I used an unwrap to lay the decals out and applied it to the wheel.

The chrome was a standard V-Ray chrome solution, with the reflection being almost 100 percent.

The ground texture was the one that proved to be my nemesis in the final renders! I wanted reflections that were blurry and soft, and hence decided to go with a Fresnel value for the materials but for that, I had to hike my rendering subdivisions quite a bit to achieve that result.





< previous page continued on next page >

 
1 | 2 | 3
Related Tutorials

Paint a desert buggy concept

by Alexander Guillen
published on 2016-10-27

Keywords: Alexander Guillen, buggy, concept, car

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star nonerating star none (2)
Comments 0 Views 3050

Making Of ' Patrol'

by Henry "Strannik" Pashkov (Lee)
published on 2011-01-19

Keywords: landscape, space, vehicle, spaceship,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (20)
Comments 4 Views 121883

Bugatti Veyron: Chapter 1

by Andrew Hobson
published on 2012-05-29

Keywords: bugatti, veyron, car, chassis,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (8)
Comments 1 Views 121134

Rendering with KeyShot

by Mario Malagrino
published on 2013-12-09

Keywords: Tutorial, Car, KeyShot, Rendering, Lighting

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (13)
Comments 1 Views 118029
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
no comments!
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Add Your Comment..