Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!


Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more


Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Making Of 'Baby Room'

| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
(Score 4.75 out of 5 after 4 Votes)
| Comments 1
Date Added: 3rd November 2009
Software used:

I used a Plane object for the blanket that was going to cover the back of the cot. I dragged the vertices after converting to Editable Poly and added the new Segments for the connection points. After moving the edges to the upper side, I curled to the back side.  In order to preserve form after using TurboSmooth, I added the new edges with the Connect command.

You can do corrections as soon as you go back to Editable Poly stage, by using the Modifier Stack structure. I applied this so that it looked natural with Noise. I continued to manipulate the object and increased the natural look by dragging the vertices in the bottom area (Fig.15).

Fig. 15

In order to break the even look of the pillows, I activated the NURMS command (remembering to disable Isoline Display) and then applied Noise Modifier. In order to avoid the pillow's "cornered" look, I also applied TurboSmooth (Fig.16).

Fig. 16

To add the detail to the cot, I drew a circle. I then merged it with the Attach command to the Editable Spline stage. After duplicating the circle and increasing the thickness with Extrude, I centered the object and copied it to the other end of the cot after grouping the objects (Fig.17). To make the angles of the handles look more natural, I also used the Snap and Align commands for all aligning operations.

Fig. 17

Next I created the first of the cabinets. As a reference, I used the dimensions of the box I'd used for the bedstead. I set up a suitable number of segments for the drawers and after this, I assigned Edit Poly. I applied Extrude to the surfaces of the upper part to push the form. I then manipulated the surface at the sub part of the drawer (Fig.18).

Fig. 18

I copied the headboard from the cot and aligned it to its own place. I also copied the handles from the drawers under the cot and then aligned them to the drawers (Fig.19).

Fig. 19

In order to slim the cabinet down, I selected the vertices from the front surface and then dragged them to the back. I created a plane for the cushion and added new edges after I'd converted the object to Editable Poly. After applying TurboSmooth, I added edges to suitable points in order for the cushion to keep its form. I then upsized it a little bit (Fig.20).

Fig. 20

I made the legs of the cabinet with a Line, made solid with a Radial section type. Then I added the new edges, assigning Edit Poly and dragging the vertices. After I'd multiplied the original leg, I moved all of the legs into suitable places with the align command (Fig.21).

Fig. 21

I duplicated the handles again to hold up the pocketed brace that was going to hang from the side of the cabinet. After creating the object with a Plane, I converted to Editable Poly and started to add new surfaces. I added new edges after the smoothing operation to help the pocketed brace to keep its form. Dragging the vertices down created the gravity effect and applying Noise made it look wrinkled. By using TurboSmooth again, I avoided any sharp edges (Fig.22).

Fig. 22

It was now time to fill the empty shelves of the cabinet with towels. I drew the section with Lines and then dragged the points for a more natural look. I rounded the lines with the Fillet command and added depth with Extrude. Next I decreased the segment and step amounts of the lines and increased the segment amounts of Extrude. Using Shell gave thickness and I changed the flat look with Noise. Again, I used TurboSmooth to get that smooth look. In order to preserve the form of the towels, I increased the Segment number and thickness of Shell. After turned back to the Line stage, I halved the segments and in order to give the gravity effect, dragged the vertices down (Fig.23). And so I'd finished my first cabinet model!

Fig. 23

< previous page continued on next page >

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Related Tutorials

Making Of 'Summer in Gerona'

by Miguel Fonseca
published on 2009-12-09

Keywords: scene, sun, summer, room, door,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (1)
Comments 0 Views 122193

Making Of 'Girl's Experience'

by Jiri Adamec
published on 2009-06-22

Keywords: woman, female, room, candle, chair,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (3)
Comments 0 Views 165567

Making of 'Distributor'

by Denis Tambovcev
published on 2010-01-25

Keywords: room, atmosphere, sci-fi, lights,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none (1)
Comments 0 Views 115505

Making Of 'Ancient Library'

by George-Alexander Baklessis
published on 2012-08-15

Keywords: scene, library, interior, room,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (14)
Comments 3 Views 148170
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
Djfunkytown on Sat, 15 June 2013 10:34am
Great tutorial! Good details and explanations. The room looks pretty awesome! :)
Add Your Comment..