Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3
Making Of 'The Lantern'

| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
(Score 4.7 out of 5 after 37 Votes)
| 107175 Views
| 2 Comments
| Comments 2
Date Added: 15th November 2012
Software used:
Keywords:

The Claytubes brush was the best way to make all the dents and small details on the concrete (Fig.08). The next step was to bake a Displacement and Cavity map, which I put over the Diffuse map with opacity of 15 - 20%.

1622_tid_8.jpg
Fig. 08

Everyone knows how birds love things like cornices, balconies and, of course, street lamps! They like to use these places a little like a public toilet! Because of this I decided to add some of this kind of detail on the lantern for more realism (Fig.09).

1622_tid_9.jpg
Fig.09


For this task I used ZBrush. Two subtools were created, but I offset the second one with a negative value in the Deformation tab of the Tool palette. With the Standard brush I started to paint some smudges and add more detail to them so they could be placed in different areas and look unique. I also applied some surface noise. One of the lower subdivision levels was exported, unwrapped and returned to ZBrush so I could bake Displacement and Cavity maps. For the material I used a Vraymat with the base settings and a Cavity map in the diffuse slot, but in the render it looked very dark. Blending this material with a vraylightmat solved this problem.

For the environment lighting I used a HDRI that gave a nice blue color to the scene. All the other lights were yellow with some variations. The background was lit with two spherical V-Ray lights. The windows were planes with vraylightmaps on them. Only the upper left room had a light sphere inside it.

For the lantern I used three different light sources (Fig.10). The main task was to avoid over-burning the lantern's interior. A V-Ray light sphere was placed inside the light bulb and only affected the bulb's glass, which had a dirt mask in its refraction and glossy slots. I then used omni lights for the light on the environment around the lantern. This made the lighting very easy to control.

1622_tid_10.jpg
Fig.10

All of the post-processing was done in After Effects because I really like the Replace Footage function. It's much easier to re-apply all of the effects to an updated render than to do it all over again in Photoshop if you find something you want to change. Everything I did was pretty regular; contrast adjusting, color correction, some glow and adding depth of field. I hope that you have found this interesting.

1622_tid_11.jpg
Fig. 11



< previous page

 
1 | 2 | 3
Related Tutorials

Making Of 'Shroom Valley'

by Min Hyuk Yum
published on 2010-08-12

Keywords: scene, landscape, fantasy, mushroom, valley,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none (14)
Comments 3 Views 97468

Making Of 'Apartment'

by LeFX
published on 2012-01-30

Keywords: scene, apartment, room, sofa, window,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (28)
Comments 7 Views 266049

How to Create a Post Apocalyptic Environment

by Andrew Price
published on 2013-02-12

Keywords: scene, warehouse, apocalypse,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (7)
Comments 0 Views 90207

Making Of 'Bridge to Avalon'

by Dragos Jieanu
published on 2009-12-09

Keywords: scene, landscape, bridge, tree,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star nonerating star nonerating star none (5)
Comments 0 Views 114027
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
avatar
Deadland on Tue, 20 November 2012 7:08pm
Nice piece of work!
avatar
Pat Woolven on Thu, 15 November 2012 9:14am
I have been working in 3-D using camera and Video short film making it look like a collage to me may if you thought about you image as a collage you would get better results
Add Your Comment..