After this, I quickly started needing a lot more geometry to work with because of my quick base mesh and its poor topology. So I divided the mesh three times and started to define a bit more than just the main shape/silhouette of the character, meaning the bone structure and some main muscles, as well facial features.
When you’re creating some sort of being, I find it’s very important to make sure it has some recognizable human-like features. Otherwise, people won’t be able to relate to your character.
So I started establishing some of those features for my character, including the eye cavity position, the shape of the “nose” and the location of the ears. At this time I was assuming that, like the Axolotl Salamander, it would be an amphibian creature to justify some of its humanized traces, like the nostrils and lips.
After dividing the mesh this much I started using some different tools like the Clay, Clay Tubes and Standard brushes with some tweaks on the Modifiers slider (Fig.08 – 09).