When ready, the final PSD had to have this layer configuration (the original) in order to be Bodypaint compatible (Fig.06).
Back in Bodypaint, I merged the texture with the new one and disable “Freeze3Dview”. This baked the projection in the texture. I then saved that texture (Fig.07).
As you can see, this projection was only good for a part of the face. I repeated this process several times to cover the whole face with projections. I made five (two laterals, two quarters and one front) and some extras to add details to the lips and nose.
Once I’d done all the projections, I merged them all in a PSD, chose the best pixels for each one and matched the colors between all so I couldn’t see any differences between them (Fig.08).
Detailing in ZBrush:
I already had the base geometry and the texture. I subdivided in ZBrush and added details using the information of the texture (Fig.09).
I created a black and white version of the color texture and used it as intensity masking. I created a first layer of detail (Fig.10).
Then, without the masking, I added some grains and bumps. I also added bumps with a brush with spray to give a less uniform skin; the original was too much smooth and “perfect”.
Once I had the final detail, I chose a level of subdivision to use in Maya for the render, deleted the lower subdivisions and calculated the normal and cavity maps for that level using Zmapper (Fig.11).