The most intresting part of the project was modelling and integrating the additional elements in the terragen created image.
As I haven't discovered any "export to max"-plugin I modeled the front rocks by hand (detailing only in those areas that were going to be under the objects). I applied a Matte Shadow material and in the VRay Menu (Oops I forgot, the scene was rendered using the VRay renderer) under System/Object settings I selected all the terrain objects and Checked "Matte object, Cast shadows, receive shadows and affect alpha".
Now the light set-up was tested with a sphere. I applied a white material and created a Direct Light to cast shadows that match the Terragen scene. The light color can be easily noticed on a white material, so that's why I chose white for the sphere material. The shadows needed to be softer, but render times would have increased a lot so I decided to leave them Like this.
After that I started detailing the focus zones.
The front rock was covered with a plane with a grass texture. After that I applied a VRayDisplacementMod modifier to it (explained in detail in my "Grass" tutorial soon to be found here on 3D Total) to get a decent grass without much hassle.
The cobble stones are absolutelly necesary for the scene realism. At first I wanted to make a road but settled with just the cobblestone in the end. Pretty boring cloning all the rocks but it was all worth while :). Took care also to apply a noise modifier to them with a different seed so no two stones are identical.
For the GI environment I selected the backdrop image and I mapped it on the enviroment. Simple spherical environment that is. This is how I do things most of the time when a HDRI of the scene is not available
Btw, I was too lazy to mess with the HDRI export option from Terragen but I hear it's pretty good.
After having some concepts for the objects, modeling got a hell of a lot easier.
Well, that was not the case with texturing (I usually don't use UVW Unwrapp unless if it's absolutely necessary. I try to keep things basic with a UVW Mapping, box mapping most of the time. But in this case I had to preciselly position the markings so that was not a viable option.
The geometry is also pretty simple, being a keen follower of the saying "what's not in the frame, can't be seen"
The bump and diffuse maps were done in Photoshop by using maps found on the net.
I unwrapped the model and by using the simple "print-screen, paste in photoshop method" I created the textures (I know Texporter was a much better sollution but hey... that's... MY WAY :))
The markings are just fonts I got from www.alienfonts.com , thanx Azra for the tip :) I would have had to make them by hand otherwise.
- Move on to page 3 -
< previous page continued on next page >