Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3
Making of 'Ran Out of Money' - Using Total Textures

| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none
(2 Votes)
| 134210 Views
| 0 Comments
| Comments 0
Date Added: 30th July 2009
Software used:
376_tid_Fig.06.jpg
Fig. 06

376_tid_Fig.07.jpg
Fig. 07

For the reception room I wanted to create a space big enough for about 100 people, but small enough to maintain an intimate setting. I used a box to start and used an edit poly modifier to create the openings for the windows and doors. I chamfered the corners and added brickwork outside the windows with a sweep modifier (Fig.08).

376_tid_Fig.08.jpg
Fig. 08

The roof support system I modeled after an image I saw on the Internet. I wanted to thin up the elements a little to match the scale of the room, while maintaining the look and feel of elements in the scene. I used a sweep modifier for the curved arch support, editable polys for the horizontal members and editable polys with a symmetry modifier for the vertical members (Fig.09).

376_tid_Fig.09.jpg
Fig. 09


Texturing

All of the textures in the scene were either custom made or came from the Total Textures collection. Since the theme of the rendering was "Ran out of Money" I needed to capture this using aged and stressed materials. I started with the floor, creating a rundown look with wear patterns and signs of aging. I combined a semi-worn wood floor pattern with a completely worn pattern using a custom mix map (Fig.10).

376_tid_Fig.10.jpg
Fig. 10

For the brick wall I used multiple images from the Total Textures V02:R2 - Aged & Stressed DVD and combined them in Photoshop. I started with a base brick layer, adjusted the image for contrast and saturation, and then started to add signs of aging. Since the floor had a paint peeling and wear look, I wanted to mimic that on the brick wall. For this I used a peeling paint texture combined with a custom distribution map. I then added some stains to the wall using an overlay filter in Photoshop (Fig.11).

376_tid_Fig.11.jpg
Fig. 11

For the walls and ceiling work I combined the maps in 3ds Max using the composite material. I created a base layer of the color I wanted and then added different dirt and aging maps, changing the filer and opacity setting to create a rundown look (Fig.12).

376_tid_Fig.12.jpg
Fig. 12



< previous page continued on next page >
 
1 | 2 | 3
Related Tutorials

Making Of Interior: 'Hallway'

by Cyril Taussat
published on 2008-09-12

Keywords: scene, room, interior, hallway,

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (6)
Comments 1 Views 35216

The making of 'Old Pilar – Reloaded'

by Caue Rodrigues
published on 2014-09-03

Keywords: ZBrush, Interior, 3ds Max, SketchUp, Corona

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (11)
Comments 2 Views 35269

Making Of 'Rear Window'

by Alexandre Jarek
published on 2013-03-11

Keywords: scene, interior, window, light,

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (41)
Comments 9 Views 182722

Making Of 'The G-Spot'

by Ramon Zancanaro
published on 2012-10-15

Keywords: scene, room, interior, furniture,

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (42)
Comments 6 Views 217675
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
no comments!
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Add Your Comment