When I first started this project, I was going to do the final rendering in LightWave after modelling and texturing the elements in ZBrush. Then, as I was making some test renders, which were turning out better than I expected, I decided to just render the whole scene in ZBrush.
I started with a simple concept sketch (Fig.01) then coloured it up in Photoshop to get a good idea of what I wanted in terms of colour palette and feel. Sometimes I stretch and warp the sketch with the Liquify filter in Photoshop to add more character to the pose or face.
I got right into the project, starting with the Scarecrow. Each part of the scarecrow model was created as a low poly model then imported into ZBrush as SubTools for detailing (Fig.02).
Using a burlap alpha texture (Fig.03), I sculpted the fabric detail onto the vest, shirt, scarf, pants, and face sections. For the hat, I used a weave alpha texture I created (Fig.04). Fig.05 shows the finished sculpted detail of the scarecrow.
I coloured the scarecrow (Fig.06) using ZBrush's painting tools, along with the cavity masking options which help to create the effect of dirt collecting in the sculpted detail areas, like the burlap sculpted fabric pattern. I also used two fabric patterns from the 3DTotal Texture collection to texture the scarf and vest (Fig.07 - 08). Once the main colouring was done, I added another layer of dirt to certain areas, using a couple of other 3DTotal dirt textures.
continued on next page >