The Straw Mat
I used the Displacement tool to create the geometry for the mat. These are the textures I used (Fig.04). I experimented with displacing the base colour for a while, but each time the result was different from what I expected. So I eventually decided to use the original colour of the material, after adding a few coffee stains.
Fig.04a shows the basic material of a straw mat. The Opacitychannel is very important as it gives the material its pattern. The Displacement tool defines the surface relief, which is why the Bumpchannel is not significant here. I then added coffee stains.
As you can see from Fig.05, I used Blend tool. The technique is quite simple: Material 1 is the original mat texture with no editing; Material 2 is the same texture, but slightly tinted to imitate a darkened surface. One of the textures from Total Textures: Volume 5 - Dirt & Graffiti
was used as a mask.
The Coffee Grinder
I also wanted to add some variety to this material, rather than use a simple texture. Again, I used the Mix map. For mixing, I used a texture from the album, Total Textures: Volume 5 - Dirt & Graffiti
. Since this material needed to imitate a varnished coating, I didn't really use the Bumpchannel a lot. The patches of sunlight were done in the usual way for V-Ray rendering; Fig.06 shows the final texture.
The Coffee Pot
I didn't use any specific techniques to create the handle - the coffee pot itself seemed to be a more challenging and exciting task. I wanted to show black dust in its lower part and some coffee stains. I tried to do this with the help of Multi/sub-object. I divided the object into a few identified layers in order to add various materials. Moreover, for each sub-material I used Blend because I needed to see different textures of stains and dirtiness on all of the layers. The material and its structure can be seen Fig.07.
The final image of the work can be seen in Fig.08. I hope this article is somehow useful for you. Thanks goes to the 3DTotal team for offering me the opportunity to re-texture this image using the Total Textures
collection. Thanks to all and best wishes!