For this project I didn't make any sketches, because I already had an idea of what I wanted to make. Since my idea was make a scene with my bass, I simply put the actual bass by my side whilst I was working on its model. Having the real model is very good for making details and taking some measurements. For the amp, I based it on some different amps that I found on Google (Fig01).
I wanted to give a kind of sad feel to the image, by having the bass guitar connected to the amp, but with the socket unplugged, and focusing not just on the guitar but also focusing on the socket.
I modelled the bass guitar in Maya 8.5. As a starting point, I used the "Create Polygon Tool" (Polygon > Mesh > Create Polygon Tool) to make the shape of the body, based on a front photo Image Plane, and then I used the "Split Polygon Tool" (Polygon > Edit Mesh > Split Polygon Tool (make sure that the "Split only from edges" box is unchecked)) to make the edges, so I could convert it into Subdiv. without any errors, in order to "test" the geometry (Fig02).
I used the same technique for the pick guard (Fig03).
For most of the other objects, I used a poly cube as a start, then I extruded them, added some edge loops using the "MJ Poly Tools 1.3", and moved some vertices (Fig04 - 09).