Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!


Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more


Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3
Making Of 'Alfa Romeo Competizione C8 Spyder Studio'

| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
(6 Votes)
| Comments 1
Date Added: 14th January 2010
Software used:

The material for the chrome headlights had to be very reflective, with values in the Refl. glossiness box at 1.0, and Subdivs at 50 (Fig.17).

Fig. 17

For the mesh of the front air intakes, I used a standard Max material with the following values, plus an opacity bitmap to create holes (Fig.18).

Fig. 18

Another relevant material present in the scene was the floor, which was easy to make with a standard Max material, these values: diffuse white specular level 0, glossiness 10, and a reflection VrayMap.
So as you can see, the texturing is very easy to do. Any other materials that I used were standard Max and modified in the diffuse and glossiness levels.


Let's now turn to the final part of the preparation process and render the scene! The idea was to create a kind of studio environment, like some brands of cars do in order to shoot their cars.  To generate the environment I used a ramp gradient. In the Materials Editor I applied the degrading ramp and gave it an angle of W90 degrees in the co-ordinates. In the Gradient Ramp Parameters I set the colour from blue to white, as shown in the image (Fig.19).

Fig. 19

The placement of the camera in a low position, with a small angle of inclination of the box with depth of field, achieves the blurring that we can see in the final render (the target distance depends on the amount of blurring that we need) (Fig.20).

Fig. 20

I added a V-Ray light to help with the lighting setup; I set the value in the multiplier to 2.7 and sampling subdivs with a value of 256.

For the rendering process, I chose V-Ray as my rendering engine because it's very fast and yields excellent results! For the anti-aliasing filter I used a combination of adaptive subdivision and Ron Catmull, but this depends on each according to the GI. I selected a combination of Irradiance Map for the Primary Light bounces, and Secondary Cache bounces, which I used to obtain correct results with Global Lighting.

The post production for the final render was done entirely in Photoshop.  Basically, it consisted of a small colour correction and that was all!
I wish you all good health and good luck with your own 3D projects. Thanks for reading!

Final Render 1

Final Render 2

Related links

To see more by Arturo Garcia, check out 3ds Max Projects

< previous page

1 | 2 | 3
Related Tutorials

Know the Basics: ZBrush – part one: Modeling

by Ricardo Manso
published on 2016-05-19

Keywords: Ricardo Manso, ZBrush, basics, tutorial

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star halfrating star none (5)
Comments 0 Views 2222

Making of 'Modified Megane'

by Rafael Rubio Muñoz
published on 2009-06-22

Keywords: car, vehicle, race, tire, sport,

Go to tutorial
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none (0)
Comments 0 Views 112745

Creating A Pontiac Trans Am

by Amirhossein Erfani
published on 2010-04-14

Keywords: car, vehicle, race, tire,

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star halfrating star none (3)
Comments 0 Views 63550

Tyre Modelling

by Ruben Morales
published on 2009-12-09

Keywords: tyre, tire, modeling, tread,

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (4)
Comments 0 Views 39271
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
Nacho on Fri, 02 December 2011 9:55am
Thanks for the tutorial men .I always can learn something :).
Add Your Comment