I started modeling this car for another scene a while ago and it was supposed to be just a low-poly half-finished model. However we had an assignment from university to make a realistic car so I decided just to finish this one and make it really good. The whole process took about 18-20 days from start to finish. There weren't any blueprints available for this model at that time (I'm not sure if there are now) so I mostly used references and blueprints from a similar model.
I didn't have a clear concept at all in the beginning. When I started I thought: I will model just another car and will forget about it. When I saw that it was coming along fairly well, though, I decided to make something out of it worth putting in my portfolio. And like most of my works the concept developed during the making. I didn't need to search for any inspiration or references - I've watched lots of gangster movies and that seemed quite enough to act as fuel for developing an idea.
The whole modeling process was quite fun and in some cases troublesome. As I mentioned I made the car mainly from references and every time I saw something new that was modeled incorrectly I had to alter the whole geometry of the vehicle.
I started by modeling the car body from a box. I followed blueprints from another model of a Bugatti and a lot of references and once I'd got the right shape, I detached the doors, windows etc (Fig.01).
From here on almost all of the different parts were made with the poly by poly technique. I modeled the fenders next and started again to look at the overall shape of the vehicle (Fig.02).
After modeling the back of the car it started to look like something (Fig.03).
The hard work was done by this point - now all that was left (not that it wasn't going to take some time) were the details. The details are really the things that make the difference between a model and a great model (Fig.04).
After some tweaks here and there and having added some more details this is what the finished exterior looks like (Fig.05).