'3D Studio Max'
Making of 'Classic Living Room' - Using 3DTotal Textures
by Roger VilÃ CastaÃ±Ã©
Software Used :
3ds Max, VRay and Photoshop
This is my first Making Of and I'm going to try to briefly explain the process of creating my image Classic Living Room. The image was a personal challenge through which I wanted to learn everything relating to interiors. I used 3ds Max for the main development of the image and VRay as the renderer. I also used Adobe Photoshop for creating the textures and adding the final touches at the end.
Inspiration and References:
With any image, it's always good to start with references because this becomes your source of inspiration and allows for good development. So I started by looking for images of interiors until I found one that I liked. I like to have freedom when creating a new image and I started my challenge calmly but slowly, trying my best to be consistent. If you put in a few hours every day then you can achieve great results (Fig.01).
Most of the modeling in the scene was done by converting boxes into editable polys, using splines with lathe modifiers and making the splines renderable with thickness.
I started by modeling the room into which I was going to place all the objects. Once the perspective was clear and I'd used the reference image to help position the windows, I began to shape the objects, creating them from simple geometries.
Each object was made in a different way. For example, the lamps were created with a spline and then I applied the lathe modifier to the base and extruded, beveling the splines (Fig.02).
For the frames and mirrors, I created rectangular extruded splines and then converted them to Editable Poly, selecting the primary face and making an inset that determined the size of the frame. Finally I selected the side of the center of the frame and extruded inwards.
For the speakers, I created a base box and part of the fabric of the speaker using a simple spline that I extruded. I then made the feet from basic shapes like cylinders with a chamfer added after converting them to Editable Poly.
The tables were also made by converting to Editable Poly and moving some vertices here and there.
The fireplace was created with boxes, cylinders and a plane for a glass. As usual, I converted it to Editable Poly and used a compound object pro Boolean to make a hole in the visor and some chamfer to round everything off before applying the MeshSmooth modifier.
The cornices were created with splines, to which I subsequently applied a Loft. The shelves were also created with splines, which I then extruded and added the Loft modifier to.
For the curtains, a plane with many divisions was used. I applied the wave modifier to only affect the selected vertices, then applied the MeshSmooth modifier and eventually converted to Editable Poly to finish the detailing. I moved some vertices manually and used the Box FFD modifier to deform and vary the look of one curtain from another.
For the carpet I used the V-Ray Fur option as this is an easy way to create all types and forms of skins. I used these parameters:
Direction var: 0.15
Lengh var: 0,7
Thickness var: 0,3
Distribution by area: 1.2.
With most of the modeling finally completed, everything was converted to Editable Poly as this allows for greater control. I created almost all of the models, except for a few I used from a library (Fig.03).