Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Project Overview: District 9

By Florian Fargeot
| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
(11 Votes)
| 70398 Views
| 1 Comments
| Comments 1
Date Added: 30th July 2013
Software used:

Once I'd completed the modeling part, I started the UV work. I cut the model up into six parts, which would become the six Udims.

1757_tid_fig06.jpg
Model separated into six Udims

This allowed me to define different resolutions depending on the relative importance of the weapon's different sections: 8k for the main body, 4k and 2k for the rest.

1757_tid_fig07.jpg
The different resolutions of the weapon's sections

Before embarking on the Mari part, one last important phase was necessary: the occlusion baking, cavity and convexity, which would come in very handy when it came to the texturing part.

Texturing

Once all of these aspects were completed, it was time to get started with Mari. The upgrades brought about with the 2.0 release are fabulous, and I really recommend downloading the trial version to anyone still hesitant about making the leap to the next version (and no, I don't work for the Foundry!).

The first step was starting with the "basic" colors, i.e. the painting, the alien logos and the metalwork.

1757_tid_fig08.jpg
Basic colors


Once this step was completed, it was time to apply the metal scratches. Between the procedural layer mixing, creating scratches manually, and plating photos, this was quite a long process.

1757_tid_fig09.jpg
Metal scratches

Last but not least, I had to create the different dirt effects. The main problem with this has a lot to do with the fact that rifles often have too much of a "plastic" feel to them for my taste, which forced me to look for extremely varied references for different materials in order to build on something solid.

1757_tid_fig10.jpg
Dirt effects

All of this combined gave me the final version of the color process.

1757_tid_fig11.jpg
Final version of the color process





< previous page continued on next page >
 
1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

Improve your 3ds Max workflow: Adding natural movement with the Flex modifier



Keywords: 3ds Max, Flex modifier, Animation, Object

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star nonerating star none (1)
Comments 0 Views 22649

Tutorial

Making of 'A Walther P99'



Keywords: object, gun, weapon, scene, table,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
Comments 1 Views 70065

Tutorial

Making Of 'Last Stand'



Keywords: character, female, gun, scene,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
Comments 0 Views 118383

Tutorial

Making Of 'Dust'



Keywords: military, army, soldiers, tank, gun,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 5 Views 110319
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
avatar
Chero7 on Tue, 30 July 2013 7:29pm
Amazing ! It's really impressive ! Thanks to you to share your work with us !
Add Your Comment