The first sketch was what I was expecting from an Oravores - a wild, extraterrestrial fighter - but it was far away from the Mass Effect
style. I kept trying out some more ideas, reaching a balance between what I wanted and what a possible Mass Effect
creature would look like (Fig.06
I knew from the begging that I wanted a CG model, so I only sketched the armor parts as a guide for a later modeling in 3dMax.
Finally I did a decimation of every single piece.
Creating the Armor in 3ds Max
Before I started modeling the parts of the armor, I did a little trick on it, a quick re-mesh in ZBrush so I could get decent topology without doing a retopologization. I tried to make a smart loop job, to get a clean mesh, especially in some areas. At the end, I did retopologize some important parts like the hands, head and pelvis (Fig.07
For the armor modeling I used two different methods: creating parts using retopologizing directly from the base mesh, and some other parts from the duplicated mesh that turned into the armor sketch.
Directly from the base mesh: I just used the Cut tool, extracting whatever I needed from the quick re-meshed one. I did that for the neck, drawing some master lines for extrusions that finally became part of the armor (Fig.08
From the armor sketch: I used Graphite modeling tools from Max, just using retopologizing, as we all know (Fig.09
Some process pictures can be seen in Fig.10
< previous page continued on next page >