Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3
Making Of 'Asteroid N351'

| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none
(1 Votes)
| 106464 Views
| 1 Comments
| Comments 1
Date Added: 30th December 2010
Software used:

Lighting and materials

The material of the guys was a VRay material with the following settings (Fig.04). In the diffuse channel I used two similar diffuse maps with different output settings. The material of the chairs was the same, with just other colors of a falloff map in the reflect channel.

1381_tid_vray_material_settings_fig4.jpg
Fig. 04

The material of planet and stars was a little bit different. I decided to use a VRay blend material. The coat material was almost the same as the material I used for the guys/chairs, along with a VRay fastsss base material with the following settings (Fig.05).

1381_tid_vray_belnd_material_settings_fig5.jpg
Fig. 05

For lighting I used two VRay spheres and even two VRay suns (I decided that in space there could even 10 of them!) with different parameters and some objects excluded. Here's a schematic (Fig.06).


1381_tid_vray_lighting_fig6.jpg
Fig. 06

Rendering

Here are the settings of VRay for the final render (Fig.07). I used HSV exponential color mapping type because I didn't want to get a very contrasting picture that gave linear multiply and, at the same time, I wanted to save the pretty bright colors which can be lost while using exponential color mapping.

For the environment I used pictures of a dark night sky (something like a gradient from dark blue to dark violet). It gave me a nice bluish tint for the picture. The irradiance map was set to high and the light cache was 600 subdivs. There were a lot of render elements having been rendered, but it doesn't mean that I used them all - it's never late to delete some of them!

1381_tid_vray_settings_fig7.jpg
Fig. 07





< previous page continued on next page >

 
1 | 2 | 3
Related Tutorials

3ds Max Character Creation - Chapter 1

by Andrew Hickinbottom
published on 2014-05-16

Keywords: character, female, pin-up, olivia, andrew hickinbottom,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none (18)
Comments 2 Views 91043

Mudbox 2009 Quick Start Series: Image Based Lighting

by Wayne Robson
published on 2010-07-13

Keywords: character, creature, lighting, hdri,

rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none (0)
Comments 0 Views 6263

Making Of 'It Was A Fierce Battle'

by Geoffrey Cramm
published on 2011-03-03

Keywords: character, creature, plant,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star none (5)
Comments 2 Views 85071

From Paper to After Effects - Creating an Animated Short from Scratch: Lesson 10

by e.d. Films
published on 2013-07-18

Keywords: character, cartoon, rocket randee,

rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (1)
Comments 0 Views 19447
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
avatar
Ian Lloyd Dela Cruz on Thu, 09 February 2012 10:52am
i love your styyyyle. (with high pitched intonation)
Add Your Comment..