1. This is certainly the simplest of the three scenes but the one in which the most wear and tear can be observed. The reason why this shows the greatest contrast is that the initial version was very clinical and polished and represented an environment that reflects hygiene. In order to really degrade the scene I incorporated a number of dirt maps from V5 of the Total Textures collection. In the image below, you can see the original texture on the far left with the render below and then on the right is the neglected version using the two dirt maps in the center of the image. I've altered the colour of the ceiling panels somewhat to fit with the scene but you can see how effective the dirt maps have been when you compare the final renders underneath. This has essentially been the work pattern used throughout the scene - selecting dirt masks and overlaying them in a seperate layer set to multiply and with the opacity turned down slightly.
2. In the case of the wall on the right I placed a texture of old plaster underneath the wall layer and then using one of the dirt maps as a mask deleted a section of the wall to reveal the plaster underneath (bottom left in the image below) By combining a couple of dirt maps I then custom made a layer of grime to go over the wall and tiles and under the vent (bottom right). With these put together we see a very different wall texture to our original (top of the image).
3. On the opposite side of the corridor I tried to convey a sense that the walls had been penetrated by extensive damp and that the plaster had deteriorated. For this I combined textures from V6 (Clean Textures), V5 and V2 (Aged and stressed). In the image below, you can see the final wall in the top left. Directly below is the dirt mask I used to reveal the plaster layer and on the right of the image is a photo of plaster from the V2 collection that I have used to generate the damp layer across the wall indicated by the arrow. You will notice that I deleted the darker areas and when it is set to an Overlay blending mode it appears lighter on the wall in the final texture above.
The floor, concrete pillars and back wall were done in exactly the same way using multiple dirt maps from V5 to add ageing. I used a different plaster texture from V2 on the back wall and for the door I selected a dirt map extracted from a photo of peeling paint from wooden panels which was perfect. The final scene can be seen in the image below.
I hope during the course of these tutorials I have demonstrated how by replacing just the textures in a scene, it can have a marked effect on the final render and the overall mood of the image and contribute towards a different quality altogether. The aim of this exercise was to portray a particular scene in two opposing states by simply changing the textures and show how powerful this element can be in a 3D pipeline as well as showcase the Total Textures collection from which all the scenes were composed.
This image was created using
a few of the hundreds of textures from the
Total Texture CDs - very comprehensive texture
collections priced with the hobbyist in mind.
To see more examples, download free
samples and read full details follow