Write us a Tutorial!
Written any great tutorials recently? Want to share them with the wider artistic community, get some valuable exposure and help other aspiring artists? Well, now you can!
3DTotal are looking for fresh, educational tutorials to showcase on our website. They can be for any software and difficulty level, any topic and both 2D and 3D tutorials will be welcomed, in text- or video-based format.
Accepted tutorials will be showcased on the homepage of 3DTotal for up to two weeks, as well as being featured in our forums, before being given a permanent home in our tutorial archives. There are also 3DTotal goodies up for grabs for every accepted tutorial, so get writing!
- "Creature Sculpt" by Josh Robinson
In this video I take a more detailed approach and show you how you can use polypaint to build up a more
realistic skin texture and even imply translucency on your creature’s skin.
- "Creature Concept Sculpt with Narration" by Josh Robinson
This is a two hour creature sculpt speed up so that the video is just slightly over one hour long. I'm narrating
during the entire process as well. There are no annoying cuts or fades that suddenly reveal a nearly finished
model. I show you the entire process from start to finish, including mistakes. I hope you enjoy.
- "Sculpting in ZBrush for 3D Printing" by Jeff Feligno
Originally a toy sculptor with years of experience with clay, Jeff is able to narrate you through the digital
construction of this piece while maintaining traditional concerns. Scale, balance and aesthetic detail are
all touched upon in this six-part tutorial.
- "Creature Painting in ZBrush Video Tutorial" by Josh Robinson
I've slowly been trying to cover most major aspects of production within a pipeline. This time I wanted to cover
character painting by hand using Polypaint in ZBrush.
- "U'Ving in ZBrush Video Tutorial" by Josh Robinson
This is an in-depth look at two different approaches for UV'ing inside of ZBrush:1. UV'ing something that you
sculpted inside of ZBrush that has subdivision levels. 2. UV'ing something that you created using a third party
application and you just want to UV it inside of ZBrush.
- "Character Creation for Video Games" by Luis Antonio
This set of tutorials should give you an overall idea of the process of character creation. It does not go into
technical details of the software that is being used, but should give you ideas and suggestions of different tools
and methods in the process.
- "Making and Preparing a Rock Arch for a Game Engine: Part Two" by Dimitar Tzvetanov
Welcome to the second part of my tutorial about making a rock arch and then preparing the model for use in game engine. In this part of the tutorial I will cover how to import and visualize your model in UDK (Unreal Development Toolkit).That's the mighty Unreal engine, which is now free for the masses – thanks Epic!
- "Making and Preparing a Rock Arch for a Game Engine: Part One" by Dimitar Tzvetanov
Hello, this is a tutorial about making a rock arch and then preparing the model for use in game engine. It's
simple and fast and shows only the basics. Please note that this tutorial is not for beginners. You will need to
have some knowledge of polygon modeling, making the UVs of a model, importing/exporting operations.
You’ll also need to be familiar with ZBrush with Photoshop too.
- "Sculpting in ZBrush for 3D Printing" by Jeff Feligno
Jeff Feligon takes you step by step through the process of preparing your ZBrush sculpture for 3D printing.
- "ZBrush Quick Video Tip: Sculpting an Alien Helmet" by Martin Knapp
In this video ZBrush Educator Martin Knapp, shows how quickly you can create an alien helmet using ZSpheres, Polypaint, and Polygroups. This powerful ZBrush workflow will give you the tools for creating complex forms
the quick and easy way.
- "ZBrush Creating Simple Cloth - Video Tutorial" by Pixologic
In this Quick Tip Tutorial from ZClassroom.com, find out how to use ZBrush to create a simple, but great looking,
piece of cloth.
- "ZBrush Worm Head Speed Sculpt - Video Tutorial" by Jonny D Artiste
ZBrush Speed sculpt of an alien bust. Through out these videos you will see JonnyD Artiste use ZSpheres to create
his base mesh. Then he will use an assortment of ZBrush sculpting tools to bring out the form.
- "Baking ZBrush Materials to Texture Maps" by Joseph Drust
Joseph Drust, Senior Character Artist at Vicious Cycle Software, demonstrates how to bake ZBrush materials
into a texture map.
- "industry Insider with Cesar Decal Jr.- Video Tutorials" by Cesar Decal Jr. & Pixologic
Cesar Decal Jr. has worked in the film indusrty for nearly 20 years. Here we take a look at many of Cesar's recent
works and learn about the ZBrush tools and techniques he has been using.
- "No More Wine - Video Making Of" by Simon Blanc & Pixologic
Simon Blanc of Blur Studios, shows you the tools he used to create his ZBrush work No More Wine. Follow along step
by step as Simon creates his base character from ZSpheres then continues to sculpt and paint.
- "Architectural Techniques using Projection Master - ZBrush Video Tutorials" by Sebastien Legrain
These videos cover a couple techniques on how to create Architectual sculptures using master projection in ZBrush.
- "Normal Mapping in Max and ZBrush- Video Tutorials" by Pixologic
In this latest collection of ZBrush video tutorials by Pixologic we will look into creating normal maps. We start off by creating a simple model in 3dsmax which we will then take into ZBrush to finalise.
- "Normal Mapping in Maya - Video Tutorials" by Pixologic
In this latest collection of ZBrush video tutorials by Pixologic we will look into creating normal maps. We start off by creating a simple model in Maya which we will then take into ZBrush to finalise.
- "ZSpheres - Video Tutorials" by Pixologic
In our latest collection of ZBrush Tutorial Videos by Pixologic we will show you all about ZSpheres and how to use
them. Later on in we will put what you have shown you into use by creating a simple human, hand and quadruped models.
- "Making a Sword - Video Tutorials" by Pixologic
In our latest collection of ZBrush video tutorials from Pixologic, we will take you through the creation of a sword.
- "ZBrush, Blender & Maya Training - Lesson 13: Sub Scattering of Particles - Video Tutorials" by Jason Welsh
Sub scattering of particles? Huh? This occurs every day, for example we see lights that are sufficient enough to go through flesh (look at ears in sunlight). After this chapter you can impress your friends by going up to them and saying “Wow, the sub-scattering of particles of light hitting your ears is very impressive!” and you will look like a cool person once more (either that or a nerd). Anyway, this is a more advanced lesson, so strap on your cap and we’ll take a look
at SSS using mapping from ZBrush.
- "Making a Vase - Video Tutorial" by Pixologic
Taking what we have learnt from previous video tutorials in the ZBrush series, the next set of tutorials will go into
creating this simple vase. We will cover such topics as radial symmetry to create the overall shape and also the symmetrical patterns which decorate the vase, mesh extract to cut a hole in the top and to hollow out the vase and
finally the zproject brush to project the characters face on the side.
- "ZBrush Training - Lesson 12: Lighting in Maya - Video Tutorials" by Jason Welsh
Here is one long video to cover lighting, before we move on to a more advanced look at mapping. So study up,
because next we’ll look at SSS in Maya!
- "Transpose - ZBrush Video Tutorials" by Pixologic
Our new collection of ZBrush video tutorials by Pixologic explains how to use the Transpose tool to bring life to your models.
- "ZBrush & Maya Training - Lesson 11: ZBrush Mapping Techniques - Video Tutorials" by Jason Welsh
We now look to ZBrush for help in our lessons in mapping. How can we look to ZBrush to improve our workflow?
- "Mesh Extract - ZBrush Video Tutorials" by Pixologic
Our new collection of ZBrush video tutorials by Pixologic explore several ways of extracting parts of your mesh to
in creating cloths, hair etc.
- "ZBrush & Blender Training - Lesson 10: Mapping - Video Tutorials" by Jason Welsh
In this chapter we will explore mapping. Mapping is the ability to control how an object looks based upon texture.
We will explore normal mapping, bump, spectral, diffuse and more, as we look at the best way to make mapping
work in Maya.
- "Stokes and Alphas- ZBrush Video Tutorials" by Pixologic
Straight from the ZBrush Basics Training Video series, we have a new set of training videos which go a bit more
in-depth in to certain tools which ZBrush offers.
- "ZBrush Basics - Video Tutorials" by Pixologic
Thanks to our friends over at Pixologic, we bring to you a 3 part beginners guide to ZBrush. Everything
that you need to know about this program can be found within these movies.
- "Zbrush & Blender Training - Lesson 9: Using Blender - Video Tutorials" by Jason Welsh
This is now your path to ruin, where you are going to have to learn a really fun application for free. Blender is a very
well put together program, and like ZBrush its interface and instruction manual somehow got lost along the way. So
now I will pass on my years of learning the program to you the viewer. Let’s take a break from ZBrush and start
learning Blender; at the end of this chapter you will see how Blender and ZBrush can work together (Yes, the
- "ZBrush Training - Lesson 8: Explaining UVs - Video Tutorials" by Jason Welsh
Before I go more into UVs I will be showing various colouring techniques that will help explain why good UVs should
be made for a model. UVs are only important if you are going to “port” your model to another 3D package, but they
also come in handy when applying textures to the model.
- "ZBrush Specular Map Painting" by Kashif Riley
Hello everyone, I have decided to take the initiative and create a small tutorial on visualising specular values on a
ZBrush mesh. Mudbox 2009 will have this, too, but I want to demonstrate how to see different specular values that will look proper in a renderer, such as Mental Ray.
- "ZBrush Training - Lesson 7: Exploring Brushes & Alphas - Video Tutorials" by Jason Welsh
How and what are alphas? In order to truly understand the full power of ZBrush, I think it is time to start exploring
brushes and alphas – how to make them and use them.
- "ZBrush Training - Lesson 6: Using Topology Tools - Video Tutorials" by Jason Welsh
Using the topo tools to produce geometry to add on to a mesh. This is a very small & easy example of how to mount a mesh in topo tools and navigate within to make new geometry.
- "Zbrush Training - Lesson 5: Using Blender to create clean UVs - Video Tutorial" by Jason Welsh
After building a mesh there are a couple of things you might want to think about doing. In this next chapter, I cover
Blender and how to use it to make clean UVs for a single mesh. Later on, in future chapters, I will be showing you
how to do a multiple UV mesh and a Multi object Mesh, also.
- "ZBrush Training - Lesson 4: ZSpheres - Video Tutorials" by Jason Welsh
The art of using ZSpheres is a practice of patience, so in this chapter we will be looking at the very basics of the technology behind the spheres and how to produce clean geometry with them.
- "ZBrush Training - Lesson 3: Setting up Image Planes - Video Tutorial" by Jason Welsh
Since you now have sculpted within ZBrush your next question is probably: How do I set up my own image planes
in ZBrush? This video will help you setup a new image for your planes to sculpt.
- "ZBrush Training - Lesson 2: Sculpting the Human Skul - Video Tutorial" by Jason Welsh
When you create anything with ZBrush, you first of all have to think: What makes up the structure of this creature?
So it's a natural fit that the skull will be your underlying project for ZBrush.
- "ZBrush Training - Lesson 1: Interface & Navigation - Video Tutorials" by Jason Welsh
With all 3D programmes, the first thing you should start out with is Navigation. This Chapter in ZBrush deals with
basic Navigation and some tools to get you started in this 1 of a kind program. It then progresses into basic
sculpting using well laid-out uniformed geometry.
- "ZBrush Masking - Video Tutorial" by jesse Sandifer
This tutorial looks to use the masking tool in ZBrush.
- "Ecorche: Anatomy of the Arm & Shoulder - Video Tutorial" by Ryan Kingslien
Continuing on the path of ecorche sculpting that was started in ‘Ecorche: Sculpting the Anatomy of the Face’, Ryan Kingslien now presents the muscles of the Arm and Shoulder. These tutorials simplify the complexity of the human
form in an easy-to-understand way!
- "Ecorche: Sculpting Face Anatomy in ZBrush 3 - Video Tutorial" by Ryan Kingslien
Ecorche sculpting is a time honoured method for learning to understand sculptural form from the inside out. In this
free 10 minute tutorial, Ryan Kingslien uses ZBrush 3.1 to create the muscles most responsible for both the form and the function of one of the most complicated and difficult to sculpt parts of the human body: the face.
- "ZBrush: Transpose Master and Poseable Symmetry - Video Tutorial" by Jesse Sandifer
Transpose Master and Poseable Symmetry is our new video tutorial for ZBrush.
- "ZBrush Poly Painting - Video Tutorial" by Jesse Sandifer
Here i will show you how to use the Poly Paint feature within ZBrush.
- "Sculpting Hair" by Joe Lee
The following are some of my observations while learning the new features in ZBrush. It is my hope that this
process will help shed light on achieving a unique look as well as open new ideas for other techniques.
- "Bird of Prey - ZBrush 3" by Joe Lee
Before getting started on this project, I tried to surround myself with as much reference and inspiration as I could before taking the plunge on the Zbrush canvas. I have great admiration for master bird carvers such as Floyd Scholz and I have always wondered if such wood carving...
- "Creation of the Captain" by Stepan Grakov
I am going to show you how to create the making of “The Captain” - my lastest work - from modelling and rendering,
to composing and post effects. This is not a “step-by-step” tutorial, here you will find explanations of my techniques.
To create this image I used ZBrush 2.0 for modelling and rendering, and Fireworks MX....
- "Modo - ZBrush Displacement workflow with Displacement Exporter" by Zoltan Korcsok
Hello, I'm going to show you, how to create and apply a displacement map with the help of a WIP model.
- "A guide to re-topologising" by Wayne Robson
Re-topologising a mesh, that’s one heck of a mouthful that sounds complex and scary to people new-ish to modelling. Really it’s nothing of the kind, it’s a simple concept that’s easy to grasp and put into practice. Topology are the edge loops on your model, most people are aware......
- "Old Man" by Oskar Swierad & Kamil Makowski
In this tutorial we will explain how we have created the artwork Old man - Portrait. At the beginning - modelling and unwrapping was done in Blender, detailing and rendering in Zbrush and some post production with Photoshop. You must be a bit familiar with...
- "Making Taho" by Michel Roger - Translated by Julien Dephix
Always seeking new modelling techniques with Maya or Max using Surface, PatchSmooth, MeshSmooth, box
modeling, edge modeling and so on, I must admit I was feeling frustrated with these techniques which I found
long and tedious. It takes a long white to create something out of a cube !