Hi everybody, we are Marco TÃ¼rr and Sebastian Skupch from Germany and we want to give you a short overview of our latest project "The Prometheus". We are both students in Virtual Design at the University of Applied Sciences in Kaiserslautern. The idea behind "The Prometheus" was born in the summer of 2008 after we finally finished an interior visualization project for our study and wanted to model something more complex and challenging for our personal portfolio. When a friend told us that he was starting to build a giant-scale RC-model of this nice aircraft and that he had all the blueprints and reference-pictures, we decided to reconstruct The Prometheus in 3D. A few months later at university, we were given a new project where we had to create a composition of a 3D-model and a picture as a backplate and we decided that we want to use this aircraft for that project as well. So let's start with the modelling process ...
Please note: for copyright reasons, we can't show the blueprints and other documents in this Making Of.
After we collected and sorted the model sheets, we started modelling the hood and fuselage as these parts are the most complex to model. It's important to create the fuselage as one part and detach the single coverings later in order to guarantee a clean mesh for the reflections etc (Fig.01 - Fig.03).
The next step was to create the wings with ailerons. These parts are quite simple and were extruded out of a shape, representing the profile of the wingtip (Fig.04).
The tail units were simply extruded shapes which were chamfered. The pivots were set correctly to make it easy to move and animate the rudders later (Fig.05).
The landing gear and tail wheel can be seen in Fig.06 & Fig.07.