After a long time spent on various commercial projects, I decided to enhance my portfolio with something massive that would help test my abilities and skills gained in the CG industry. From the very beginning I knew there would be no animation, so I didn't have to care about rigging and other linked aspects. As a fantasy fan, I decided to create a goblin character. I didn't want to copy anything well known so I decided to create a bloodthirsty pirate boss with epic equipment gained during his journeys overseas. Before any work began I searched the internet for references so that the character would be interesting and have its own history rich in details. Building a character's story is very important to me!
Modeling is where the real fun is, at least for me, so I try to think ahead and make preparations so I don't have any problems with UVs, errors in geometry or units. Where modeling is concerned I have a standard pipeline, which is long proven and very effective at doing what I need.
I began with a basic low poly model equipped with basic UV mapping and a standard setup. The basic mesh was exported into ZBrush where I started to process muscles and the body shape (Fig.01 - 02). Finishing this, I exported the second subdivision set back into 3ds Max and started to prepare the body with low poly meshes of the goblin's equipment, which by the end resulted in 22 subtools.
Before detailing the equipment I prepared all the items in the UV set so they could be textured and easily identified. Every part of the goblin's equipment was processed until I was happy with the result. In the end the model consisted of 78,531,268 polygons.
To create the very precise details and ornaments I used a Photoshop mask system, which turns out to be very good for creating breastplates (Fig.03 - 04b).
next page >