The "Modified Megane" project started as a personal challenge to improve my skills in modeling. The car modeling was one of my greatest handicaps ever, so I thought it was the right moment to prove my skills. I choose the Renault Megane as it's one of my favorite cars, in fact I have one and could get as many reference pictures as I needed. For the development of this project I used 3dsMax 9 and Vray. The next step was to find some blueprints with were good enough quality and more information about spoilers, rims,... In the beginning, my idea was to perform only the modeling of the car, but when I finished, I decided to make a single render with a extremely simple environment that did'nt subtracted importance to the car itself. Let us see how I created the "Modified Megane."
As I said, the first thing was to find some blueprints with good quality and once found, I created four planes mapping them with the blueprints so I could use them as guides for the basic modeling, showing the diffrent views that I needed (Side, Front, Back and Top).
Each and every one of the pieces of the car were modeled using the same technique: Polygonal Modeling. I started with the body of the car, in its basic model without spoilers and such, just as leaves the factory, giving all details at the end.
I started with a plane of a single face that became a Polygonal Editable Mesh. The plane is placed just above the wheel on the side view and selecting the lateral edge, I began to extrude towards the rear wheel and the rear a rea of the enrollment, with the other side edge toward the area of the front enrollment, on the basis of the blueprint of the Top View and the edge higher, up to the bonnet, based on the blueprint front, side and above. In this way I was forming the basic form of the Megane, extruding only edges (Shift+Move) based on the blueprints reference.
Thus, the main form of Renault Megane (basic, non tunned) was near to be finished . The mesh obteined needed a more smother aspect so i aplied a TurboSmooth modifier with two iterations in the Viewport and four in the rendering, in this way, I could work properly without losing much performance of my PC. Once the car body was finished, I spent a lot of time to refine the mesh, "passing the polishing" aligning all vertices one by one, because one misplaced, gave the sensation that the car was a great blow. To add hard areas to car, such as the line that runs throughout the side, with a line of edges selected and placed in the right position, I applied a Chamfer with a value of nearly 0, and for the corners, as in lighthouses, a Chamfer almost zero but this time at the vertices of the area. Once finished this task, I began the process of adding details and secondary objects to basic model: spoilers, wheels, mirrors, glasses....
For all accessories as spoilers therefore exactly the same method, a map of one side placed in the area where will be located, and once converted to Editable Poly, extruding edges and forming the basic shape of the objects and then refining and adding detail.
For the wheels I did not used a plane, instead i used several objects, but it is exactly the same technique, we'll take a look at the construction of the wheels.
I started with two tubes with equal number of segments, choosing one face and one not on the external side of one and the same faces of the internal side of the other, all selected faces were removed and then attached, then extruding the holes resulting in the direction of the opposite workpiece I closed the basic shape of the rim, from here, as well as the body of the car, chamfer in the edges that needed toughness with a value of zero or close to zero, to make the holes for the screws, placed vertexs in the standings with chamfer high, and erased the new polygon and extruded inwards several times and chamfered the edge to give hardness .... Always, and throughout the process of creating the modeling, the same technique, extrusions and chamfers, and a bit of work softening pieces.
For tires, I used a tutorial I founded on the web. Describes very good the creation procces of the tire:
When I finished the tire, It, was ready to added the rims and tires to the main shape of car.
The environment modeling is the simplest of all, as I wanted to keep it absolutely simple. I choose to do a kind of model city created with a plane with many faces, extruding the faces that I was interested in very high values, and removing polygons that did not need to create a sense of city. The camera viewpoint was set up almost since the body car mesh was modeled, and didn't changed until the end except very very minimal variations.
next page >