"The BMW C1 is an enclosed scooter or feet forwards motorcycle, which was manufactured by Bertone for BMW. It was intended to combine the advantages of two-wheeled motorized transportation with the strengths of the automobile. The idea was to offer the convenience of a scooter or motorbike but without many of the associated dangers or hassles. BMW tried to add passive safety and car-like crash testing to the scooter. It claimed that in a head-on collision, the C1 offered a standard of accident protection comparable to a European compact car. Since going out of production, C1s have found new homes with collectors and as pit-bikes for some of the Formula One Grand Prix teams."
In my non-commercial projects I try to select a subject and components that will make use of my skills to a maximum, and I set myself tasks to solve using new methods. In particular, I was interested in industrial and automobile design, as I have no experience in these fields, and I felt that work of this nature would grant me new opportunities to develop my skills. Considering this, C1 proved to be interesting! I bumped into it accidentally, looking through Google Images. The style of this concept seemed fresh and unconventional, it stood out of about 20 other images on the page, and in the next moment I was looking for its blueprints.
In the beginning I had no idea how this project would look in the end. One thing was clear at that moment, though: the final image had to satisfy the requirements of A4-A3 printing and render options were to be for high-res. The motor scooter itself was meant to be the main subject, and the most worked-out part of the overall composition, and so further planning was done based on the most advantageous views of it.
At this first stage, my main goal was to make an authentic model, and it was at that moment that the first problems arose; the one set of blueprints I found was poor in detail and incorrect - the placing of some of objects didn't correspond with one another in the different views, and so I could only use them to form the approximate cargo body proportions only (Fig.01).
The modelling sequence can be defined as assembling the car body first and foremost, constantly fitting its parts to one by one, forming the silhouette and the main proportions and then adding the details to basic forms corresponding to the references (Fig.02).
My technique itself was nothing special - simple poly modelling done in the majority of existing 3D modelling software. As usual, I began by building the form from one polygon; I created a plane with one segment, converted it into Editable Poly, switched to the edges editing level and moved them by pressing the Shift key and "pulling out" remaining polygons. If I needed to join model parts, I switched to vertex editing level and connected them using Weld, Target Weld or the Collapse command. If I needed to cut out part of the model or add more edges in places where the grid was not dense enough, I used the Cut and Slice commands at polygon editing level, or the Connect command at the edges editing level.
If the topology of a model satisfies me, but its form and proportions do not, I use Free Form Deformers. I also have a habit of using Edit Poly as layers, like in Photoshop or ZBrush, to have the opportunity to compare the things as they are and were, or to undo it at any moment (Fig.02 - 06).
next page >