Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

Sign me up to receive third-party emails from 3dtotal's partners, too!

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Making Of 'Motorball Gally'

By Tommy Wong
| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
(37 Votes)
| 164699 Views
| 6 Comments
| Comments 6
Date Added: 29th November 2010
Software used:
Photoshop, Maya, Blender, ZBrush
I also created a few shaders to help create a color theme as well as separate the parts according to color. This is a surprisingly useful technique since I was later able to bake out (painfully) a base color map from this. The different shaders also served to remind me which part was metal, which rubber, which had more shine or was duller etc. Here is the final high poly model (Fig.10).

930_tid_image_10.jpg
Fig. 10

Third Step

I proceeded to build the low poly model. For this task, I just duplicated the high poly model and removed all creases. I ended up with a pretty good starting base, except for the body which I had to rebuild from scratch to get a closer fit. Then, using Maya's Transfer Map tool, I slowly baked out the Normal map and Color map. The color map was derived from the numerous shaders I had applied in the modeling process. This process took the longest of all as I kept running into problems I had neglected back in modeling. It pays to go through a model to check that all the normals are facing the correct side and not inverted. This is the baked result with diffuse and normal map rendered in Marmoset (Fig.11).

930_tid_image_11.jpg
Fig. 11

Then from here it was texturing time. Using the baked color map as base, I started layering all the dirt, scratches and battle damage. One thing I find rather useful is to overlay a layer of "rainbow" colors on top of your diffuse because it helps to create subtle hue changes. I set it to a very low value, about 1-2 percent at most (Fig.12). Once the diffuse was done, I then created a complementing specular map from the diffuse. This part of the process will be very brief if the layers in the diffuse are done with a bit of planning (Fig.13).  A few Hue/Saturation layers, and inverting of those scratch layers will usually yield a pretty good starting Specular map.

930_tid_image_12.jpg
Fig. 12


930_tid_image_13.jpg
Fig. 13

Looking back at the high poly model, the critique I got was that the legs were very bare of details, and the sculpt lacked secondary details. I proceed to draw panel lines (Fig.14) and using a wonderful Photoshop plugin called NDO, I converted those to normal maps and overlay them onto my original normal map. Some might compare it to Crazybump and most would prefer Crazybump, but I find being able to draw and create normal maps without leaving Photoshop a great time saver!

930_tid_image_14.jpg
Fig. 14



< previous page next page >
 
1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, woman, fat, summer,

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half (12)
Comments 1 Views 82763

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, woman, scene, fantasy, digital, painting,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
Comments 0 Views 49091

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, woman, siren, scene, digital, painting,

Go to galleries 1
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
Comments 0 Views 40047

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: digital, painting, vehicle, sci-fi,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
Comments 0 Views 20073
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
avatar
(ID: 269665, pid: 0) Echo0 on Mon, 21 April 2014 9:38pm
Since my previous comment was cut off- Not only do I think the model was a success, I disagree with some of the other comments posted. To me she does look older than the comic samples on reference sheet while still being easily recognizable to who she is- something a lot of people have a hard time achieving. The texture sheets were also very impressive. Good job.
avatar
(ID: 269662, pid: 0) Echo0 on Mon, 21 April 2014 9:20pm
Great model and "making of"!
avatar
(ID: 28402, pid: 0) Massey on Wed, 01 December 2010 7:56pm
A nice job on the modelling - but your final model looks almost identical the one in your reference pics, not much "older or younger", but oh well.
avatar
(ID: 28294, pid: 0) Bente on Tue, 30 November 2010 1:18pm
"To get the details, I used Maya`s Crease tool (Fig.08) for hard edges and lots of floating geometries (Fig.09), a trick I picked up from Dominance War IV`s winning entry." Seems to me like the basic concept, and most of the details are something you "picked up" from that as well. Still looks impressive though
avatar
(ID: 28203, pid: 0) Andre Rios on Mon, 29 November 2010 1:48pm
Thats just fantastic dude!!! i love the concept and the shape of her body!! congrats!!
avatar
(ID: 28191, pid: 0) Chii Wah on Mon, 29 November 2010 11:57am
Tommy , Overall is ok .But Your Concept , the girl legs is too stretch edi la ... It make the girl stand uncomfortable .
Add Your Comment