I started positioning the camera and creating the wall and the floors to sketch the composition how it will be in the end to start adding details around it.
I started building the human figure at mid-poly, I modelled the full body then added the hands feets and the head. The head doesn't have eyeballs, it would increase the polycount too much when considering the model's mutiplying to fill the gate umbral.
Then after the bone configuration and character setup I made about 12 different poses from the same figure (the contest deadline and my spare time didn't allowed me to model than 1 human figure for this purpose). The character deformation is not 100% accurate but for this case it will serve considering the small size of each character in the final scene.
The Serpents head was made using box modelling technique like the human body and the body of the serpent was using spline and loft as shown in fig5e. In this case used helix for the path and circle for the shape.
Then the umbral was made using spline corner and then extruded to get the shape desired to work on. The umbral would not be seen too much, so the preliminary test with lightracer was made with a coupleof the human figures available to see how it was going to be.
The image shows the umbral test now more smoothed because I wanted to improve the details at the same time that I was not so sure about how much of the umbral would be seen on the rendering as far as the human figure should cover almost the whole umbral.
Then I tested the other side a little bit as well as new details on the top made with cut, extrude, welding, etc. Even in the tests, I separated the human figures (high polycount) in layers, because I could easily turn on and off and make the viewport lighter while I navigade and adjust the details, then I went back to camera, and turn on again; it's a pretty nice way to deal with a lot of polygons.
This image shows the umbral now with a very high polycount optimized because (as I will show during texturing process) is not so easy to get correct bumpiness when using lightracer. In this stage you can see both the umbral and serpent body and details with displacement.
Then was time to improve the details and make more tests to see how the serpents would integrate the umbral and human figures and the added details on the top, and the big and scary devil's head. the fig.5l shows the preliminary version of the devil's head, surely needed more details.
Focusing on the upper part, I turned off the side parts and rendered the now improved head with a lot of details on the umbral and human figures positioned and with the first attempt on making the door base
The next picture shows some tests on the wall (chamfer edge and extruding down a bit) if some modelling was needed, a little render with the wall and the door and decided to do not use this on the final version.
Then I started the door. The serpent head is the same, with some modifications as well as the door's serpent made with spline+loft the same process of the serpent of the umbral. the circle detail was made with a very thin torus, inside another one, the little balls are half hemisphere of geosphere and the triangle as well as upper details are spline converted to mesh with appropriated tickness.