The car is ready so let's move to the environment. I didn't want anything complex because the viewer was still supposed to focus on the car. So I just created simple desert with few details like small stones and cracks in the ground. Everything modelled with basic polymodelling again as you can see on the pictures
For the stones I used only spheres and displaced them with a procedural cellular map.
The lighting was very simple. Just one direct light with area shadow and blue skylight as you can see below.
I wanted the image to be a bit dynamic and show some action. So the best way was giving it an illusion that the car is speeding through the desert. I positioned the car like it was coming close around the camera and then I had to make a dust behind it.
After few tests I decided to use Glu3D for it. I created a simple particle cloud system and used Glu3D to create a blobmesh around it. Then I collapsed the whole thing into editable poly. I fixed the shape with FFD modifier into the right shape that I wanted and added some displacement with cellular map again to make it more "bumpy". There was no plan to make an animation with it so I just made everything for this particular frame and point of view. You can see the result below.