This image was done for a competition at a Swedish community for 3ds max, www.animate.se. I will be focusing on the materialsetup.
I started out sketching on a couple of ideas and I quickly made a mockup of the final model. It is going to be a robot.
Then I started to model the different parts, beginning with the face. I started out with a polygon and extruded edges to form a face. I didn't have much time on this model so I decided to create the face in its final state right away.
And here's the finished model with all of the different parts put together. The same process was used for the other parts as the face.
Character Studio was used to make a skeleton for the model. Since I had modeled joints and other parts separately, and I didn't want any deformations, I just linked each part to the corresponding bone instead of using a Skin modifier.