Now that everything was finally established I flattened the image and began painting over it starting with Fagin's head and working out to refine everything. (Fig.09)
More refinements, details added and pieces were shifted here and there. I spent all my time at this stage working out the details, fleshing everything out. I added little things here and there to enhance story, like the pet rat. (Fig.10)
Finally, I finished it off with all the changes I felt necessary and last details like the graffiti and dirt on the tank. (Fig.11)
The piece took me about a full work week, so 40 hours or so, but that was stretched out to 8 weeks because I did it in my spare time (which isn't much these days). I think the process was a bit of a disaster and took longer than it could have, but it came out alright in the end. I'll definitely consider my values earlier on next time instead of focusing all that time on the drawing.
My personal goal in doing this was to push myself to my limit, to really see where my skills are at. I work days as a concept artist and almost everything I do is both sketchy and unfinished, or a singular piece like a character design, so illustrating multiple characters interacting in a scene was very challenging for me.
And that about sums it up! Thank you for your time.
< previous page