To get a different view of things, I rotated my canvas and started playing with more shapes.Â Whether I used the Marquee tool or the Gradient utility, the aim was simply to make shapes and add interest. I continued to add shapes and texture until I was satisfied with the feel of my canvas. And then... I destroyed it (Fig.24and Fig.25)!
After all that fun with texture, shape and pattern, I made it one cohesive image by tinting the entire canvas with a dark green. Even though it was tinted, the initial colours still showed through and blended nicely together, giving me a very rich and deep background to build upon (Fig.26).
So I moved on to the mid-ground to experiment some more, trying to find my flow.
At this stage, I was less inclined to use paper as a texturing method as heavily as I did in the beginning. Instead, I focused more on the patterns, because I was able to have full control of the flow and could be a lot more purposeful at this point in what I wanted to see (Fig.27 and Fig.28).
Staying focused on the intended weight flow of the image, I built up patterns which flowed from the bottom of the image upwards, all following a swooping upwards stroke which gave a feeling of motion and an uplifting energy (Fig.29).
< previous page next page >