While making a test render I came across what I thought was quite a nice angle, and in a bid to try and make a scene that wasn't too reliant on 3D composites I took the small render (Fig.26) and blew it up. I decided a subterranean racetrack on an epic scale would be quite interesting and with some blimp hangar images I set about compositing in fresh colours and a background.
Fig.27 was the first stab at throwing in a few photo elements found from various resources. A blimp hangar, a cargo hold etc.
Fig.28 shows some balancing of the image. I killed off the contrast in the background to try and strengthen the composition a little bit.
I was still focusing on the design of the car at this point and so threw some photo elements into areas where there might be some tech, such as the wheels. This bought it to life a little and sold the functionality (Fig.29).
Fig.30 shows the final balancing and tweaking with a bit of clean up. The design still has a long way to go, but I intend to develop it more when I get some free time from work and I can model the details for real.
I hope this is useful in some way! My workflow is far from perfect and I definitely didn't strike the right balance of 2D/3D in order to be as efficient as possible. I hope to mend these workflow issues in future projects. Any critique to aid improvement is always welcomed.
I am now working with Karakter: Concepts and designs for virtual worlds, based in Amsterdam. Our website is currently being developed but please check it out for a PDF of our portfolio: www.karakterconcept.com
My personal website, which is in dire need of an update, is here: www.freefallgraphics.com