In this Making Of I would like to mention the reason why this image came to exist, my inspiration behind it and some further information about the scene as whole. Then I would like to present the models themselves, which occupy scene. I'm not going to focus too much on the modelling itself, but I will mention any interesting settings, or problems I had etc. In terms of the materials, the whole scene was built from V-Ray materials along with using the V-Ray displacement modifier. I would like to pause for a minute here, because this scene just served as a test for the V-Ray displacement settings and I will also be writing about creating textures, lighting and the final rendering.
The scene with the orange bridge, which I have situated in Venice, is absolutely fictitious. You won't find it anywhere in the world; you can't take a photo; you can't visit it. It's completely unique. But while the scene as a whole is fictitious, I found inspiration for the bridge sometime ago on www.3dtotal.com
by one of my favourite artists. I decided to create a scene, but as different as possible from the image that inspired me and mainly base it on my own ideas and feelings from current scenes of Venice. If you have time, I'd advise you to look at some of the images in the scene part of 3DTotal's gallery. You'll surely find an image there to inspire you (Fig.01 & Fig.02)!
Of course, the inspiration for this image was on a purely conceptual level and all of the objects found in the scene were carefully chosen from different parts of Venice and remade by me.
The majority of the models were modelled from a box (box modelling), by using some photo references, and were afterwards adjusted for insertion into the scene. Models like the bridge, walls and houses along the edge of the canal were relatively low poly (Fig.03).
I will be covering the V-Ray displacement modifier later. It was difficult to model some of the things in the scene, like the railings. I created these with lines and then converted them into editable poly's and applied Meshsmooth for a better model resolution. I tried to evoke the feeling of something old, so some of supports in the railings are missing and some are curved while others are narrower (Fig.04).
I then created the lamp and the paper ship, which I made first from paper so that I had a better reference for modelling, by a similar process, combined with the V-Ray displacement modifier (Fig.05 & Fig.06).