Next, I started with the pumpkin model. Using the ZSphere tool in ZBrush, I created a pumpkin with a stem base model to sculpt from, and added plenty of detail to it. Again, I coloured it using the cavity mask function at times, along with 3DTotal's dirt textures (Fig.09 – 11).
I decided something else was needed as well – sunflowers (Fig.12). I created the centre section of the sunflower and then subdivided it in ZBrush to a high level. I used a noise texture as a mask over the whole model and then used the Inflate function in ZBrush to push out the detail. I smoothed it a bit so it wasn't so harsh looking, and then sculpted a single flower petal, duplicating it around the edges to form the final sunflower model. Colour texture was applied quickly, as I knew it was going to be blurred a bit anyway. One leaf was sculpted and quickly coloured as well.
It was then time to start putting it all together. I created a simple ground plane, texturing it with another 3DTotal ground texture, and placed it onto the ZBrush canvas. Creating another layer in ZBrush, I added the scarecrow model and rotated him into position using ZBrush's Gyro tool (Fig. 13). I then added the pumpkin model and duplicated it several times, rotating each one again using the Gyro tool (Fig.14).
The grass was added a little differently: I used ZBrush's scatter brush stroke function to "paint" the grass onto the ground plane in a separate layer (Fig. 15). In the scatter settings you can adjust the colour jitter to get some colour differentiation in the grass, making it a bit less monochromatic. I used the same effect to add some hay popping out of some of the areas of his clothes.
Next I added the sunflowers on another layer and placed them back further in space on the ZBrush canvas, as well as adding the extra one onto his hat.
The last thing to add was the straw hair. I used a simple strip of polys and curved it a bit. Then, just using the Gyro tool, I put each strip into place and snapshot the object to the canvas (Shift + S) and moved onto the next (Fig.16). I did the same thing for the shoulders and glove straw.
Once all this was done, I placed several lights and rendered each light pass out separately (Fig.17). I did this because it was easier for me to control how the lights affected each other in Photoshop, since I could erase areas where I didn't want the lighting to affect an object.