For the textures, I mainly used the 3DTotal Textures,
except for the woods.Â I focused the texturing on the wall, because I knew that would be the place that everyone would look.
First, I got some concrete textures from the Total Textures: Vol.2 DVD
and started duplicating, erasing, cloning and adjusting the colours until I got a nice, seamless and big (2K) texture.Â Then I took some dirt maps (Total Textures DVD: Volume 1
), colour corrected them using the "Color Balance" tool, changed the colour blend to "Multiply", and played with the opacity (Fig11).
For the ground I took a wood texture which I already had, and started adding dirt maps to it (Fig12 and Fig13).
For the guitar, I first made the UVs in UVLayout and Maya, then I jumped into Photoshop to start cloning and erasing, until I had a big and seamless texture.Â The textures for the guitar were kept very, very simple (Fig14).
I had a little difficulty making the details of the neck, so I decided to go to ZBrush, just to have the ability of painting in 3d mode.Â Using the "Projection Master", I was able to project details onto the texture (Fig15).
For some objects I didn't make serious textures, just solid colours with the same dirt maps from 3DTotal Textures.Â I just edited them, colour-corrected them, and added solid colour layers on top.
Lighting & Shading
I wanted to make a realistic render; since my machine is quite slow I decided to render with the engine that I'm more comfortable doing realistic stuff with, so I had to jump into Max again.
After I imported into Max all of the *.obj files that I exported into Maya, I started setting the lighting up in the scene.Â I used two Vray lights: one at the top (1) and the other at one side (2).Â I also put a plane on the other side to act like a wall and bounce some light (Fig16).
This is just a basic lighting rig, because I also used a HDR image to help the lighting and reflection of the scene (Fig17).
The material settings were very simple (Fig18 and Fig19).
< previous page next page >