For the ornaments in the scene – like the details on the desk – I used a very simple method. I know there are many different ways to create ornaments like this, but in my opinion, my method is a good way of getting the shape I want without getting bored with the project.
The detail on the desk is a group of repeated tree leaves. I began with one leaf and then multiplied it to form an identical group and built up the design from there (Fig.04 – 06).
As for the other details in the scene, I did these in separate files and then imported them into the project. Some examples of the models which were used in this project can be seen in Fig.07.
This is what the scene looked like at the end of the modeling phase (Fig.08).
Materials & Textures
In Fig.09 you can see the fully textured scene alongside the original model.
I used the UVW mapping technique for all of the textures in this scene. The textures were obtained from cg.textures.com and all the materials I used were blend materials. Most of the project was done by using only one mask and that was a picture of an old book cover which I used in most of my materials and at some of the other stages to give the sense of the room being old.
Texturing the books was somewhat different because they were all different sizes. So I went back to the book pictures I'd gathered for the project and then textured one book. Then by changing the size of each book and the textures, I was able to create the full library.