For this scene my initial idea was to model a realistic car, but I wanted to make an old one, such as you see in the exhibitions. I started searching for references and blueprints on Google, to find one that was interesting to model, and after a long search I chose the Aston Martin Ulster.
Whenever I go to model a car, as well as references, to me it is essential to have blueprints to make an accurate model. I was fortunate to be able to get one, because there are not many blueprints of this 1930s car.
My intention was not to make an exact copy of this model, since there are different versions. I chose the ones I liked and added some personal changes (Fig.01).
The first step was to make the main body. I started with a box, editing one to get the approximate shape, and then I added the turbosmooth modifier and fixed the shape to be accurate to the plane. Next I added small details like the joints of the body through extrusions (Fig.02).
In this model, I used an unusual method for the realization of some model details such as the grilles on the hood and others, as shown in Fig.03.
I used the VRay Displacement Mod along with a displacement map. This utility is very useful and fast, and it allows you to model precise details that otherwise would have been much more difficult to model (Fig.04).
I also used this method for the details on the tires (Fig.05a).
next page >