The making of 'Ollie Shuteye and the Spooky'
By Ekaterina Pushkarova – Katerin
| 10199 Views
| 2 Comments
Date Added: 2nd July 2014
Ekaterina Pushkarova decribes the techniques behind her fantasy character image, Ollie Shuteye and the Spooky
I am going to share my experience regarding the making of Ollie Shuteye and the Spooky in ZBrush. I hope that you will learn something interesting!
The idea about this work sprang from my son's stunned look when I showed him an ant – such a simple thing! In life is where you find the most inspiration! And so Ollie Shuteye came to my mind, who, with his little flashlight, is showing the Spooky the land where the children live...
In the beginning everything starts with a sphere, so that's what I started from as well. The most convenient part in the initial modeling for me turned out to be DynaMesh in ZBrush.
I have two stages of work while modeling. The first one is the sketch. During this stage I model the silhouette as a whole and the basic form of the character or the composition. Once I've done the sketch, I decide to change their poses while they are still in DynaMesh so they won't be rigged in any other animation program. After their composition is ready as a whole, I move to the second stage.
The character was created using a sphere
Holding the parts on separate layers, I duplicate each one of them (for example the head only), after which the second mesh is ZRemeshed to the lowest possible level of subdivisions. Subdividing it at least to level 5, I leave only two objects – the original DynaMeshed one and the new one with the new retopology.
On each one of the levels from 1 to 5, I project the DynaMesh object onto the object with the new retopology using NoiseMaker and FiberMesh.
Subdividing the mesh and projecting the new mesh