For his costume and accessories I decided to use 3ds Max. After creating some pretty basic volumes and clean UVs, I went into ZBrush to start adding detail (Fig.03).
The most difficult part of the project was the shoulders. For this I had to create multiple alpha brushes within ZBrush (Fig.04). After a few minutes of trying to sculpt all the details directly into the mesh with my custom alphas, I realized that it was way too hard to get the result I was looking for and so decided to build my Displacement map piece by piece in Photoshop (Fig.05). For the tassels I just drew a spline and used an Edit Poly modifier to add some subdivisions. I then used a Twist modifier and finally a Push modifier. After putting every strip in place I used an FFD modifier to make each tassel look different. For all the other complex golden objects I used the same method as I described previously (Fig.06).