Keep up-to-date with Free tutorials!!

 

Sign up to our twice-monthly newsletter today for the latest tutorials, interviews and product information.

 

- Latest news
- Exclusive Shop Offers
- Preview early content
- Plus much more

 

Not Ready to take that step? OK, Why not just Subscribe to the RSS Feed

 
submit tutorial
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Project Overview: Holdeen's Max

By Gilberto Magno
Web: Open Site
| Your Rating:
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full
(30 Votes)
| 73604 Views
| 0 Comments
| Comments 0
Date Added: 20th August 2013
Software used:
Photoshop, Maya, ZBrush

The second part to be modeled was the helmet. I used the same process as I'd used for the shield, to keep the shape.

1775_tid_fig03.jpg

For all parts of my base mesh I used the same workflow, always leaving the concept in the viewport as reference.

Before making the details I did the low poly character first of all; it gave me more freedom to adjust the proportions more quickly and more practically.

1775_tid_fig04.jpg

Once the base mesh was ready with all the parts, I gave the model a more a general look before starting to detail. To help me adjust the proportions and silhouette, I turned on the light of the viewport without any light in the scene. This left me with a black shader that allowed me to see the silhouette of the character perfectly.

1775_tid_fig05.jpg

High poly modeling

With the base mesh ready, I took the model into ZBrush where I added the details to the high poly. This was the moment where I loaded all my SubTools and organized everything.

1775_tid_fig06.jpg

Just like in Maya, I started by modeling the shield in ZBrush. To make the ornaments I masked some parts and used the Inflate deformation. For the more organic parts, like the face of the shield, I used the Clay Tubes, Standard and hPolish brushes to sculpt.

For all the other parts of the model that had ornaments, I used the same process to make the design with the mask and then used the Inflate deformation.

For extruded parts, I used a mask and the Inflate deformation, and Polish to smooth.

To create a rusty metal texture, I used NoiseMaker > Erosion. And to add in some irregularities, I used the Clay Tubes brush with low opacity on the surface.

1775_tid_fig07a.jpg




< previous page next page >
 
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Related Tutorials

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, fantasy, hunter, soul, armor,

Go to tutorial
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star full (7)
Comments 0 Views 36258

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: painting, hdri, 32bit, armor,

Go to galleries 1
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
Comments 0 Views 5640

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, creature, armor, monster, sten,

Go to galleries 1
rating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star nonerating star none
Comments 0 Views 23754

Tutorial

Gallery Image.



Keywords: character, warrior, creature,

Go to galleries 1
rating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star fullrating star half
Comments 0 Views 27287
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
avatar
(ID: 260074, pid: 0) Sound_Priest on Tue, 11 March 2014 12:31pm
Amazing ;)
Add Your Comment