The lighting part was a classical three-point process, with a gray/white shader that allowed me to configure the scene in a neutral fashion.
Neutral scene setup
The only particular light parameter was a color temperature of 5500k, to give the scene a slightly warm tint.
Once this stage was complete, I moved on to shaders and assigning textures. I also configured the various rendering passes, which were EXR 32-bits.
Textures and texture settings
The last phase was compositing in Nuke. This was a simple compositing process, which reminded me of gathering the photo references. I did a few colorimetric corrections and some ZDepth tuning, and added some chromatic aberrations and vignetting to get the final image render.
With a bit of spare time and by re-doing a bit of the rifle, I even managed to do the white version we see in the film!
White version of the weapon
This was an interesting model to make, and excellent training on Mari which offers many possibilities. I hope, in time to come, to have the time and opportunity to work on more complex scenes that will allow me to push these software packages to their limits!
Thanks to 3DTotal for allowing me to share this little project with you - I hope you like it! Until next time!
< previous page