Once I'd completed the modeling part, I started the UV work. I cut the model up into six parts, which would become the six Udims.
Model separated into six Udims
This allowed me to define different resolutions depending on the relative importance of the weapon's different sections: 8k for the main body, 4k and 2k for the rest.
The different resolutions of the weapon's sections
Before embarking on the Mari part, one last important phase was necessary: the occlusion baking, cavity and convexity, which would come in very handy when it came to the texturing part.
Once all of these aspects were completed, it was time to get started with Mari. The upgrades brought about with the 2.0 release are fabulous, and I really recommend downloading the trial version to anyone still hesitant about making the leap to the next version (and no, I don't work for the Foundry!).
The first step was starting with the "basic" colors, i.e. the painting, the alien logos and the metalwork.
Once this step was completed, it was time to apply the metal scratches. Between the procedural layer mixing, creating scratches manually, and plating photos, this was quite a long process.
Last but not least, I had to create the different dirt effects. The main problem with this has a lot to do with the fact that rifles often have too much of a "plastic" feel to them for my taste, which forced me to look for extremely varied references for different materials in order to build on something solid.
All of this combined gave me the final version of the color process.
< previous page next page >
Final version of the color process