For the helmet, I just used a Diffuse and for everything else I used procedural textures in modo. I exported two or three sub-divisions lower than the highest, and just the hair was decimated (Fig.08
The render setup was really simple, just a background plane with a gradient. For the lighting I used an HDRI image from the Studio Environment Set 1, from 9B Studios, and no other lights. I played around with it to choose the right one (Fig.09
For the body I used the default modo skin shader with a few tweaks. The other shaders were made from the default material.
I rendered a few passes, to use later on, for the final compositing and color corrections in Photoshop. These were: Final Color, Ambient Occlusion, Material ID and Depth passes (Fig.10
In Photoshop I played a lot with the Curves and washed out the colors for an even more vintage look. I made a ton of different variations for the colors and contrast, and choosing the right one was the hardest part of making the image. Hopefully I made the right choice (Fig.11
It was really fun making this image. I hope you like it and thanks for reading. If you have any questions, or just want to say hi, feel free to contact me at: firstname.lastname@example.org
< previous page