I then edited the attenuation settings to give me control over when the light starts and ends. I decided to use a spotlight for this because I wanted the light to be pointing downwards towards the street. If I were to use an Omni light the light would also go upwards.
Here is an image of the settings I used for this spotlight (Fig.14).
And here is a render of what we now have (Fig.15).
At this stage, I was starting to add more life to the image but it was still missing something so I moved onto the windows. For the windows I again decided to carve out a 'fake' room behind and use a real light to illuminate this area. Using the same techniques for the doors on the left I cut out the windows and created a simple box room. This second 'fake' room also keeps the light from escaping behind the buildings.
Here is an image of the geometry after I've carved the windows out of the building geometry (Fig.16).