The previous chapter was dedicated to modeling the character. In this chapter we will handle the UV mapping as well as the creation of the textures. We will also model the character's belt in 3ds Max, UV map and texture it.
Make sure that GoZ is configured in ZBrush 4 to communicate with 3ds Max, because we will be taking advantage of this new feature to exchange information between the two applications.
UV Master 1
ZBrush has a very simple tool to create UVs - the UV Master. It's a free plugin that you can download from Pixologic.
In this chapter we will be using the Material "SkinShade4". It is a white material which is great for Polypainting because it doesn't affect the painted color and it also shows specular highlights which help to read the form. Select it from the Material menu to have it applied (Fig.01).
- Select the upper body subtool.
- From the Zplugin menu, choose UV Master.
- Click on Work on Clone. UV Master will
create a new tool with the upper body at the lowest subdivision level. The new tool starts by the prefix "CL_".
UV Master 2
We will use a polygroup selection to define the UV islands.
- Create the polygroups as in Fig.02, separating them as head, neck, trunk, left arm and right arm.
- In the UV Master menu choose Enable Control Painting.
next page >