The toy car was modeled from a box that I then converted to an Editable Poly. I added edges to necessary areas with the Connect command and then I created new surfaces with Extrude, giving them shape by dragging the vertices. The tire area was created with Chamfer and Extrude and the details of the model with Inset and Bevel. I then made the brace part with Extrude and dragged it. In order to wrinkle the object, I applied Noise to its Subdivided state and I used the Melt Modifier in order to give the model the gravity effect (Fig.39).
I modeled the toy train with Renderable Splines. After creating a simple line for the base, I made it solid with a rectangular section type. I also created vertical cutting lines with the line tool for the tires and gave them a Radial section type. After assigning Edit Poly to the object, I created the new edges with Connect. I then spaced the edges with Chamfer and created polygons with Extrude for the tires. After making the back tire, I copied it. I defined the wide, Radial section type after drawing a parallel line for the boiler part. I assigned Edit Poly for the engine room and created an edge with the Connect command. I dragged the surface with Extrude and modeled the roof with the Hinge command, before using Extrude again to add detail.
In order to make the wagon, I made a copy of the object. I then drew vertical lines and made it solid by using a Radial section type. After selecting the first bar, I assigned Edit Poly and created the new edges with Connect. I modeled the thick parts with Extrude and, after drawing the line between the two bars, added a rectangular section type. I created the other parts after I'd copied the object (Fig.40).
The last components of the baby room that I had to model were the Lego pieces. I started from a box and created the bulge by drawing the lines filling the shape in with Radial. I also merged the two objects after I'd converted them to Editable Polys, deleting the surfaces at the intersection area. I added new edges in order for the object to keep its form after the TurboSmooth operation was applied. I pushed inside under the surface with the Extrude command and added new edges to the corners. I also added new edges to the center area and horizontal edges to the bulge and main body. In order to create double and triple parts, I copied the object side by side and merged, before deleting the intersected surfaces and merging them (Fig.41).
After duplicating the pieces of Lego, I scattered them around the room with Reactor, choosing different angles and places to put them. I used the non subdivided states of the parts in the physical simulation. I created the temporary floor with a plane because the carpet surfaces were very detailed for the physical simulation. In order to complete the simulation, I multiplied the weights and the friction of the objects and gave them less elasticity.
And here's the final image (Fig.42).
I hope this Making Of helped you and that you found some useful information in it. I also hope to bring you some more Making Ofs in the future (this Making Of is part of the "Advanced Level: Interior Modeling with 3dsmax 2010" auditory and visual education from www.sanalogretim.com
. You can visit the website for more information. Please note that the website and products are supplied in the Turkish language only).
Thanks for the support that's been given by Cem Gul (www.cemgul.com
You can visit my website, and see my mini portfolio at: www.dijitalx.com/osman
< previous page