When I was happy with the initial blocking and look of the image, I merged all the layers together. I then created a new layer and started to paint in my foreground elements by using the Palm brush in a large size. The brush modifications were set to Scatter, Size and Opacity, which gave a more random look. I also used the same brush for the palm tree tips.
Later, I created another new layer and drew in the shape of a river by using the Lasso tool - a fairly simple and effective way to draw different shapes and get some pretty crisp edges as well. When working with the Lasso tool, I used a lot of my P'n'E technique (paint and erase) - I blocked my base color and erased the irrelevant areas. I went back and forth with this until I was happy with the look. Later, I used a color balancing effect to get a more greenish, jungle look (Fig.02).
More Details and Variations
I then added more detail to the palm trees and painted in some single leaves on the bushes by, again, using the customized brush. I realized that the green was too "green", so I used the Color Balance effect to add more yellowy tinges to the mid-tones and highlights (Fig.03).
Keywords: Arch-viz, Making of, City, Scene, Sci-fi
Keywords: Making of, 3ds Max, ZBrush, Birthday, Scene
Keywords: Blender, scene, river, water
Readers Comments (Newest on Top)
(ID: 160128, pid: 0) Ignacio197 on Mon, 05 November 2012 10:43am Hi Markus,
Thanks for the tutorial. I saw the image a while ago and thought it was quite good the mood you achieved. One very simple question, what do you mean in this sentence: 'When working with the Lasso tool, I used a lot of my P'n'E technique (paint and erase) I blocked my base color and erased the irrelevant areas' by 'blocked my base color'. I try to use some shapes in my images, and have been trying this technique (which I saw you use somewhere else) of erasing then the parts of the shape I dont want. The problem is that sometimes you can tell some parts have been erased, the transition is not so smooth. Maybe there is a better way of deleting parts, thas why the 'blocked my base color' caught my attention.