The rest of the shaders are really simple and I used modo's presets heavily. I found the shader I needed, applied it on my model and made some changes to make it suitable for my scene. I also added my own shaders to the library, so I could quickly reuse them.
For almost all the materials I used Normal maps as I've found that surface bump is very important when it comes to making your scene real and using Crazy Bump for generating Normals maps from photos is incredibly easy and very effective. All the materials can be seen in Fig.16.
As for the render setup, I said before, I used modo. It was quite easy and nothing special; the only thing I will mention is that I used a 25mm lens and as I wanted to make a pretty depth of field. For this type of scene is almost impossible to use post-processed zblur based on depth, because you'll get odd artifacts at the edges. There are two solutions. Once, separate your scene into a couple of layers, and render and blur them separately, or two, simply use a brute force render DOF.
I chose the second option, so I set antialiasing up very high to get a clean effect. I also used lens distortion directly in modo, as it helped the final image a lot because a 25mm lens distortion is obvious in the real world. You can see my entire render setup in Fig.17.
The final render was in 6000 x 3374 with the render time around four hours on a hardcore workstation setup. But it's great if you consider all the render effects, SSS, GI, a lot of lights, etc. I think that modo did an awesome job and I am quite sure that other renderers would be slower.
< previous page next page >